• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sleep. Sleep! SLEEP!

hennebeck

First Post
Ok, so let's say I have 3 targets. Let's call them Morrus, mearls, and The Rouse.

I cast Sleep.

First off, I roll an attack against each one, right?

My Attack hits Morrus & mearls. I miss The Rouse.
So, on their turn Morrus is slowed and mearls is slowed and The Rouse is slowed.
At the end of their turns, Morrus and mearls and The Rouse each get a saving throw.
Morrus makes his and mearls fails his and The Rouse fails his.

So, on my turn, Morrus has no effects on him. Mearls is asleep, and The Rouse is slowed.

Correct?

Blackeagle

First Post
hennebeck said:
So, on my turn, Morrus has no effects on him. Mearls is asleep, and The Rouse is slowed.

The Rouse is no longer slowed. The way I read it, the target rolls a saving throw their first turn after being hit with Sleep. If they make that throw, they are no longer slowed (because it says save ends). If they fail that throw, they fall asleep.

The_Fan

First Post
Blackeagle said:
The Rouse is no longer slowed. The way I read it, the target rolls a saving throw their first turn after being hit with Sleep. If they make that throw, they are no longer slowed (because it says save ends). If they fail that throw, they fall asleep.
Reread. Rouse failed his save, so he's still slowed.

Hennebeck has it correct.

ArchAnjel

First Post
Blackeagle said:
But the Rouse failed his save so he should continue to be slowed. The original poster is correct that Morrus is no longer affected because he was hit but then successfully made his saving throw (rolled 10 or higher), mearls is asleep because he was hit and then failed his first saving throw (rolled less than 10), and the Rouse is slowed because he was missed by the initial attack but has not yet made his saving throw and thus is still slowed.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Blackeagle said:
You missed the part, where it says that the Rouse is missed, but then failed his saving throw. So, yes, I think you got it right. More illustrative:

My turn: I cast sleep, hitting Morrus, Mearls, but I miss the Rouse. They're all slowed.
Morrus' Turn: Is slowed, makes his turn, saves - but wins => isn't slowed any longer.
Mearls' Turn: Is slowed, makes his turn, saves - and fails => falls asleep.
Rouse's Turn: Is slowed, makes his turn, saves - and fails => remains slowed.

Cheers, LT.

Stalker0

Legend
hennebeck said:
Ok, so let's say I have 3 targets. Let's call them Morrus, mearls, and The Rouse.

I cast Sleep.

First off, I roll an attack against each one, right?

My Attack hits Morrus & mearls. I miss The Rouse.
So, on their turn Morrus is slowed and mearls is slowed and The Rouse is slowed.
At the end of their turns, Morrus and mearls and The Rouse each get a saving throw.
Morrus makes his and mearls fails his and The Rouse fails his.

Correct?

Exactly right.

And I too miss the rouse:)

Mercule

Adventurer
And... any way you slice it, sleep is a nearly worthless spell. It might be an appropriate encounter power, but there is no way any sane person is going to pick it for a daily spell. From what I saw while running KotS, sleep may be tame enough for an at-will power. Slow is one of the weakest conditions after the first round of combat. That first round is the only thing that warrants sleep as an encounter power.

Of course, that'd make it effectively at-will.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads