D&D 5E Slow Dragonshields?

devincutler

Explorer
I was designing a kobold lair for my campaign when I noticed that Kobold Dragonshields have a speed of 20 ft., while every other kobold in Volo's or the MM have a speed of 30 ft. Is this a typo, or is there some obvious and logical reason for the slower speed that I am missing?

I am happy to houserule it to 30 ft., but I wanted to see, first, if anyone had any logical reasons why the speed should be slower.

For the record, Dragonshields have an STR of 12 and wear leather armour.

Xeviat

Hero
AC 15. I hardly think leather armour and a shield is deserving of a slower speed.

Player rules mechanically, no. But monsters don't follow player rules to the letter. Either it's a typo, somebody forgot that Kobolds didn't have a "small size speed penalty" like halflings, or the designer intended them to stand their ground.

Maybe their shields are stupidly heavy? If you're encumbered, your speed drops by 10 feet. But there's no small size carrying capacity penalty (weird). I'm reaching. "I" see no reason they should need to be slow, to answer your original question.

Croesus

Adventurer
One possibility: These are really big, hulking kobolds, so they are slower than the more typical, nimble ones. That seems to fit with their massively increased hit points. Also, looking at their armament and pack tactics, I suspect they are supposed to fight like hoplite infantry, in ranks with spear and shield, pushing slowly toward an enemy.

The Shields are pretty big.

Kobold Dragon Shield.jpg

CM

Adventurer
Maybe they were supposed to be wearing heavy armor originally (chain?) but it was downgraded. What's their Str and Dex?

Remove ads