Smiley face replacement for "bad words"

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I just made a post with a "bad word" in it, and the editor changed the word to smiley faces. This is fine with me. I copied and pasted the post in without really noticing the word, but when I reviewed the post here, I saw the smileys. I started to edit the word, but then stopped, thinking, "well, it's already automatically edited."

What's the rule here for this? Should I manually edit the word, to something non "bad", or just leave it as smiley faces? I'm thinking I'll go back and edit the word, anyway, but I'm curious what the general guidance is for this.

Bullgrit

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The rule is that the profanity censor is a last-line defense, not a user tool. Invoking the automatic censor is something you should try to avoid. While it happens accidentally sometimes, it's best to go back and edit it to something that doesn't make the profanity censor jump up.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Thanks. I edited the word. I don't think the filter has ever edited me while writing here because I easily edit myself as I write. But this slipped through because of copy-paste.

Bullgrit

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Usually, a one-time violation of the language rules gets you a moderator saying, "Please don't do that again." Not a big deal.

Remove ads