• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sniper Hazard

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Wondering what you think of this trap, based somewhat off the Vicious Animal Hazard from the Gladiator Article.

Note, there aren't any numbers yet since not sure what level I will have this happen at yet in the campaign.

Sniper: Level ? Blaster
Hazard

The crack of gunpowder is the only warning as a ball of lead whizzes past your head.

Hazard: A sniper is pinning down anyone in range. He can attack anyone during his turn.
Perception
DC ?: Upon activating Initiative can roll to see if you see where the sniper is.
Initiative +?
Trigger
The sniper rolls initiative whenever a character comes within range 45. Henceforth the sniper makes an attack against any character.
Attack
Standard Action Ranged 45
Target: All creatures in range.
Attack: +? vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + ? damage, and the target is slowed (save ends).
Effect: Each round on its turn, the sniper attacks all creatures within range.
Countermeasures

• A character can attack the sniper (AC ?, other defenses ?; hp ?). When reduced to 0 hit points, the sniper dies, ending the hazard, upon perceiving the hazard.
  • Upon reaching melee the hazard becomes a creature. See Stats: (Custom Monster Stat here)
Now obviously this may seem somewhat powerful, since it can attack each person. However this is to be used in a specific circumstance. The players are going to be meeting this hazard within a New Orlean's style cemetery and can hide behind the crypts.

These crypts give Superior Cover, but when shot becomes Cover, the shot again is reduced to rubble. Thus the players can move from cover to cover in their turns.

There are also zombie minions who wander the cemetery, if a zombie is between the hazard and the player. Then the player gains cover and the zombie is attacked instead.

So what do you think?

Last edited:

That One Guy

First Post
I like the idea of it.
He can attack anyone at the beginning/ending of their turn.
Do you mean that he will shoot at a person sometimes at the start of their turn and sometimes at the end?

It sounds like a nifty idea. I'm interested to hear how it turns out. I would think slowing people might be more emotionally painful than knocking them prone... but that could have a pretty wonderful synergy with the zombiecover eating them on the ground.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I guess it isn't that necessary, but wrote both to say that when his Initiative comes around even if you have or haven't gone yet in your turn you can still be shot at.

Woops, actually meant to put slowed. Lol, since was also reading the Vicious Animal Hazard accidentally copied that part. Shall change that now.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Sounds more like a machine gunner if he can attack all targets within range (that is like a high level ranger power, no?)

A sniper should surely be attacking any one target within range.

Phaezen

Adventurer
Maybe changing the attack to a primary target within 20 damaged and slowed with secondary targets slowed but not damaged within a burst around the primary target?

Phaezen

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I used the attack-all to try and represent that all the PCs are moving at the same time in the actual gameworld. As such, during this whole time the sniper is firing at all of them, so in the gameworld his turn was happening during their turn, if you get what I mean.

Perhaps... I could do something similar to being Marked. I could "mark" one PC that round and when he is attacked it can cause damage (through the mark), while the others attacked are simply slowed?

That way, each person has the potential to be Marked and have damage dealt, but also everyone has the threat of being shot at, even if it is just to be slowed?

Skyscraper

Explorer
Sounds like a great idea. I like the zombie minions to add spice to the action.

Here are some thoughts that might fit your idea, or not.

1) You could have multiple snipers to explain how so many attacks are made. It appears extreme to have one attack at the start and at the end of each creature's turn.

2) If you have a single sniper, instead of having the sniper attacking during each creature's turn, have him attack say once or twice per round only, on his turn; but have his attacks have more of an effect, such as creatures becoming immobilized (save ends); when the first successful save is made, the target is slowed (save ends). If the PCs would be able to close in on the sniper too quickly, have the battle occur on a much larger field, e.g. where each square of the battlemap equals 10 or 15 feet instead of 5 if you're space-challenged on your table.

Sky

Skyscraper

Explorer
Another idea is to set this up as a skill challenge instead of having round-by-round actions. Each failed check would result in an attack by the sniper against the PC making the check. For example, trying to spot the sniper requires that you move your head out of cover: if you make the check, you spot him and you can take advantage of a moment where he's not aiming at you to move forward; if you fail, he spots you and attacks you. If you try to run, an athlectics check could be used; if you try to tumble from one cover to the next, acrobatics; if you try to hide behind cover, stealth; if you try to use the zombies as cover, religion. And so on. Each time you make a check, you move say 1/8th of the way (thus requiring 8 success). Each time you fail a check, you're attacked. If you're hit X times (say, 2 times, which should occur perhaps after four attacks against you), you're immobilized. You could have that accomplished in sort of a round-by-round action too, since the zombies will also be acting - not sure about that though. I'd probably prefer the fast-paced action of a pure skill challenge to the slower action of combat.

Sky

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I went with combat mainly because, I can use a map and normal combat movement to really emphasize using the mausoleums for cover.

While I agree it may be slower, I think it could be interesting to see the PCs using various tactics to get around. Do they go from cover to cover, do they run full tilt straight at the sniper, do they use zombies for cover, etc.

Using the sniper as a hazard is part of it as well. Since I am hoping that may speed it up a bit, by having it go through some simple motions that could speed up his turn somewhat.

Plus prior to this if things go according to plan in this part of the plot there was most likely a chase skill challenge that leads them to the cemetery (obviously chasing the sniper). So would like to mix it up a bit with a combat-session that isn't normal combat.

Remove ads