D&D 4E So anyone want to see some generic 1st level slimes in 4E?

Set

First Post
I used a pair of ooze-like critters as part of an adventure involving a low level necromancer. She would save every part of the people she killed, using unique procedures to preserve and animate the blood as one undead ooze, the skin as another undead, the skeleton as a third, and the viscera/muscles as final undead ooze.

The blood 'oozes' were made of 10+ pints of cold blood that attempted to grapple living targets and blind them. Once they got a pin, they could attempt to drown / suffocate them. They were also fairly resistant to damage, being animated liquid. They were only half a HD, so when an attack did affect them, they were pretty much toast.

The viscera 'oozes' were made of everything else, the muscles, the veins, the organs, etc. all lurching along through muscular action, lashing out to drain blood and attempt to digest living targets with digestive acids. They had 1 HD, and were fairly easy to hit, but could restore hit point damage via their blood drain attack. The necromancer considered the Viscera a failure, and kept them locked in ceramic tubs, since they tended to drain blood and rot flesh with their acid secretions, which cut into her supplies of materials for later research and animation.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Set said:
I used a pair of ooze-like critters as part of an adventure involving a low level necromancer. She would save every part of the people she killed, using unique procedures to preserve and animate the blood as one undead ooze, the skin as another undead, the skeleton as a third, and the viscera/muscles as final undead ooze.

The blood 'oozes' were made of 10+ pints of cold blood that attempted to grapple living targets and blind them. Once they got a pin, they could attempt to drown / suffocate them. They were also fairly resistant to damage, being animated liquid. They were only half a HD, so when an attack did affect them, they were pretty much toast.

The viscera 'oozes' were made of everything else, the muscles, the veins, the organs, etc. all lurching along through muscular action, lashing out to drain blood and attempt to digest living targets with digestive acids. They had 1 HD, and were fairly easy to hit, but could restore hit point damage via their blood drain attack. The necromancer considered the Viscera a failure, and kept them locked in ceramic tubs, since they tended to drain blood and rot flesh with their acid secretions, which cut into her supplies of materials for later research and animation.

It's disgusting, but I love it!

frankthedm

First Post
Glad to see there is support for this idea. So many positives, not least of all how cheap slime minis are. 20 plastic goblin minis still cost at least $8.50 on ebay. A baggie of 30-50 glass beads is only a couple of bucks in most areas. Hell, I can't remember a time Dollar Tree didn't have those bags of glass beads.

flat20combobcsai2.jpg

Imp

First Post
If you ask me, ooze concepts haven't been really creatively exploited much since 1st edition... the game could use some new ones, especially at the starting levels.

I am so jealous of the gelatinous cube familiar.

Nymrohd

First Post
As an above poster said, I expect the different oozes and slimes to become enviromental hazzards instead of monsters. Maybe they will become more interesting to have around this way.

FourthBear

First Post
All this talk of slimes has reminded me that I'd like to see more love and respect for the demon lord Juiblex. I've got a fondness for this demon lord, who is so refreshingly classic at his core and free from the complications of other lords. I've always loved the idea that Juiblex is really the ultimate demon lord, of god-like intelligence and who is completely in harmony with his evil, destructive nature. He is not only lord of his plane, he has become the entire plane itself, breaking down the neat little animal boundaries just as a good slime should. I have a vague memory that recent mentions of him in recent planar supplements haven't been so kind to him, but he'll always endure.

Remove ads