• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, Attacks of Oppportunity?

jadrax

Adventurer
Actually, although it brings up spectre of more interrupts, I have yet another suggestion. Based on the premise that turn-based movement sometimes throws up oddities because 30' in some contexts is a long way for someone to move before you get to do *something* about it.

As well as being able to hold your main action for a reaction, you can hold your move for a reaction move. This can be used to close on or block an enemy trying to avoid or get past you, or can be used to run away from an enemy trying to close on you.

Some restrictions should apply. Perhaps you can only reaction move in addition to a normal reaction (i.e. you can hold your main action and your move, but not just your move).

This is pretty straightforward, gets rid of one of the annoyances of turn-based movement, and only adds a little to the basic rules. Resolution can be left vague in the core, but with suggestions (e.g. if you choose to close on an enemy also charging towards you, the two of you should meet in the middle somewhere). It allows a character to block another single character effectively, and believably. It doesn't conflict with other options such as types of AoO.

Yes, I really think something along these lines is a really good idea.

Remove ads