So do we know if Wizards still have familiars?

I was unable to discover this with searching, do we know if in 4E, Wizard and/or anyone else, still have familiars? I mean, I sincerely hope they do, because they really were one of my favourite things about being a Wizard (or the like), but I'd be unsurprised if they got the chop in the simplification drive.

Stalker0

Legend
The assumption right now is that the wizard class will not have familiar built right in. However, wizards will likely have a feat or a talent that will grant them a familiar.

So not all wizards will have familiars, but because it costs a resource to gain one they will likely be better and more survivable for those who want them.

Again, this is speculation, not confirmed fact.

Stalker0 said:
The assumption right now is that the wizard class will not have familiar built right in. However, wizards will likely have a feat or a talent that will grant them a familiar.

So not all wizards will have familiars, but because it costs a resource to gain one they will likely be better and more survivable for those who want them.

Again, this is speculation, not confirmed fact.

That seems fine, and I hope it's so. I didn't like the fact that every Wizard did or should have a familiar, but I wanted my ones to!

Derren - Good, hopefully that's not just window-dressing.

Sitara

Explorer
The aprt timesorceress article mentioned a familiar, so yeah I am pretty sure they are in. I hope this time they actually aid in magic,i.e. maybe having a familiar raises the caster level of all spells cast by 1 or somthing.

jtrowell

First Post
There was speculation (I think) about familiar being useable as another implement (staff, wand and orb), probably released in a splat book later

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Sitara said:
The aprt timesorceress article mentioned a familiar, so yeah I am pretty sure they are in. I hope this time they actually aid in magic,i.e. maybe having a familiar raises the caster level of all spells cast by 1 or somthing.
I hope that isn't how they end up working. I don't want familiars to remain what they are - something that is completely forgotten about, except for the persistent bonus.

The only reason the familiar itself gets remembered is when the PCs need an independent creature to help them.

If familiars are not going to actually be useful and memorable on their own in routine adventuring and combat, I hope they only serve to do things like boost ritual magic.

Zamkaizer

First Post
Stalker0 said:
So not all wizards will have familiars, but because it costs a resource to gain one they will likely be better and more survivable for those who want them. [Zamkaizer: emphasis mine]
Derren said:
Several pictures of wizards include a familiar thing, so it looks like they are not completely gone.
A quick perusal of Races and Classes reveals a dragonborn wizard with a dragon or pseudodragon perched on his shoulder, screeching at whatever the mage is gesturing towards with his wand, as well a dwarf wizard serving as a perch for a bat with the 'Christ, that's big' template. So, yes, on both counts, less'n William O'Connor is terrible lying bastard.

Last edited:

Lizard

Explorer
jtrowell said:
There was speculation (I think) about familiar being useable as another implement (staff, wand and orb), probably released in a splat book later

Gods, I hope familiars aren't just an animal-shaped magic item.

Every game I've been in, familiars have been an important part of the spellcaster and the party, and they've always been fun NPCs to play or deal with. If they're reduced to just a random stat bonus or an "implement", that will be pretty darn pathetic.

Remove ads