• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So do we know if Wizards still have familiars?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kamikaze Midget said:
In 3e, they were an optional liability that gave you a spot bonus and maybe a scout that is less effective than the rogue.
It would be a very high level rogue that would equal the utility of my illusionist's thrush familiar in the Ptolus game I play in. He can fly and shadow people, he can deliver messages, he speaks Gnomish (which works as a coded message a lot of the time) and he's unobtrusive enough to work as a good stakeout artist.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
WD said:
It would be a very high level rogue that would equal the utility of my illusionist's thrush familiar in the Ptolus game I play in. He can fly and shadow people, he can deliver messages, he speaks Gnomish (which works as a coded message a lot of the time) and he's unobtrusive enough to work as a good stakeout artist.

Hey, it can be effective, but sending a familiar out to scout is a bit like giving yourself a love interest: it's a subtle hint to the DM that it may die out there. And it's a bit worse than a love interest, becausae it hurts your pocketbook (100 gp!), your heroic might (XP loss!), and your schedules (so much time!), so it's risking a lot. Plus, as an Illusionist, you're already thinking in terms of secretive and tricksy, making you pretty decent at scouting as-is. It's pretty context-dependant, too: the thrush might not look out-of-place in Ptolus, but if you travel to some exotic locale, or deep into a dungeon, it'll be a bit move evident.

So if they want to make it a scout, I think they can pump it up to do that a little better. It'd be kind of cool to have that related to divination and teleportation rituals: you could send your familiar out to gather a bit of hair from their bed, or a bit of blood, or a toenail clipping, or something for your sympathetic magic, to scry on them and teleport to where they are.

Remove ads