• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 So how was AEG's Warlords of the Accordlands anyway?

I was just reminded this existed (and has a sale bundle on DTRPG no less) and remember looking at it back in the day, but I never picked it up or saw it played. Played a lot of the Warlords CCG it was based on and had a pretty good time with it for a few years, and liked the unusual setting with all its quirks. For those who played, did they manage to translate it well to 3.0? It was one of the earliest things I can recall that had an "adventure path" book, was that any good? Was there enough other material to support a decently-long campaign and varied playstyles? Anything particularly broken or wonky about the added game mechanics - spells, classes, etc.? Did you need the WotC core books to play or was the Warlords core effectively its own PHB & DMG bundled together?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
It was better than I expected it to be. It suffered a bit from being a d20 STL product rather than an OGL product (meaning that it wasn't a standalone game and required the D&D core books to play). At one point I created a custom PHB from the D&D 3x SRD with just the info required to play Warlords (so I didn't have to use the D&D core books), but I no longer have that file (I just checked). The adventure path was perfectly playable from beginning to end.

Last edited:

BigZebra

Adventurer
Wow - this is a coincidence. Yesterday I was reading an old Dragon magazine and noticed an ad for Warlords of the Accordlands. Seems interesting. But I already have more campaign than I can run.

Wow - this is a coincidence. Yesterday I was reading an old Dragon magazine and noticed an ad for Warlords of the Accordlands. Seems interesting. But I already have more campaign than I can run.
For added serendipity, there's apparently a kickstarter running for a new edition of the Warlords CCG right now, which might explain the discount bundle on the old pdfs. Thinking back on it that might be my second or third favorite CCG for mechanics depending on how I'm feeling about Garfield's Battletech at the moment. Shadowfist holds my top slot forever, of course. :)

It's funny, I hadn't thought of this IP in years until an other-forum post about a short-lived space fey character reminded me of the Accordlands' weird take on elves and here it is unexpectedly rising from the grave. Kind of regret not plunging on the RPG books back then, but the odds of my having on to them all these years would be low anyway. Remember them being kind of pricey for the time too, although I suppose all those $20 3.0 core books had me rather spoiled.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This thread reminds me of my perennial complaint about my bookshelves; the top shelf has an overhang that's just low enough to make it difficult to remove any books there, which is where my old copies of Warlords of the Accordlands are.

Hmmm. Given the number of responses I guess the answer might be "not remembered by many people" eh? Ah well, roughly a quarter century is a long time. At least the CCG looks like it might reappear, which is kind of nice.

Remove ads