Level Up (A5E) So I guess WotC thought A5E had some good ideas

noodohs

Explorer
From today's Wizards Presents, Chris Perkins says: "For example, characters currently receive additional Ability score points based on their lineage or species - however, these increases are now tied to their Backgrounds in the updated ruleset, and every Background now also provides a Feat. Soldiers receive +2 STR and +1 CON, for instance, along with the Savage Attacker feat, while characters with the Street Urchin background get a bonus to Dexterity/Wisdom and the Lucky feat." Take from this article: D&D One: Dungeons & Dragons Dropping 'Editions', Developing VTT Tools - IGN. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

i mean, what gets me here is this:
This first release introduces a new player race - the Celestial counterpart to the Tieflings, known as Ardlings
like...isn't...isn't that aasimar? what the hell is an ardling?
guess i'm waiting for noon to see what this document is about.
edit: also,
truncating the nine current spell lists for each class into just three based on the magic's source (Arcane, Divine, and Primal)
this is ABSOLUTELY taken from pathfinder 2e. like. there's pretty much no way it isn't.

Staffan

Legend
Reminds me of PF2 as well.
Well, Pathfinder gets you stat bonuses from both your ancestry (usually either two fixed bonuses, one free bonus, and one free penalty; or two free bonuses and no penalty; or in rare cases one fixed bonus and one free) and your background (usually one free bonus and one that's your choice of two stats).

From today's Wizards Presents, Chris Perkins says: "For example, characters currently receive additional Ability score points based on their lineage or species - however, these increases are now tied to their Backgrounds in the updated ruleset, and every Background now also provides a Feat. Soldiers receive +2 STR and +1 CON, for instance, along with the Savage Attacker feat, while characters with the Street Urchin background get a bonus to Dexterity/Wisdom and the Lucky feat." Take from this article: D&D One: Dungeons & Dragons Dropping 'Editions', Developing VTT Tools - IGN. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
Well, we’re all over here for good reason, right? 🤣

darjr

I crit!
I know I am maybe being that guy, but... I just dug through all 8 playtest packets and having ability scores be tied to your background was not in any of them. You did get bonuses from your class at one point, though, but I was specifically commenting how suspiciously close to A5E the new setup is.
In my defense that was a while ago and there was a lot of playtests…..

Thanks for looking.

Anyway I also think it isn’t a big stretch and in RPGs these things happen. Finally a good mechanic isn’t copywriteable and still a good mechanic. If they did lift it from either Paizo or LevelUp I’d hope they’d mention it somewhere. But I still doubt it.

Last edited:

Remove ads