So, I hate pdfs. Any advice on hating them less?

I have much the same aversion - I think PDFs are well and good for reference and stuff, but I simply can’t stand sitting and reading them. I think at core of the problem is the fact that most PDFs are made for reading on paper, and the world hasn’t quite caught up to the idea that even the best screens don’t quite feel like paper. And god forbid you try to read a two column pdf on your laptop or something.

My best tip for enjoying reading PDFs is to get a big tablet. A full size ipad is good, but an e-reader brand works best like a kobo or kindle. Also, amp up your contrast if you can - I find that helps especially when reading lots of black text on white screens.

Good luck!

Have you ever used an e-reader with e-ink screen (i.e. Kindle)? E-ink that is not backlit is much easier on the eyes for long term reading than an LCD-type screen. It's also supposed to be better for people whose circadian rhythms get screwed up by reading their phones in bed. I like reading books on my Kindle much more than on my phone screen.

Arilyn

Hero
Research shows we take in less information when reading from a screen. They aren't sure why, but it might be the lack of physically turning pages, and the book smell.

I find it hard to take in new game rules from a pdf. My first reading of 13th Age, for example, was a pdf. When I got my hard copy, it didn't quite feel like the same game.
And I have real troubles running adventures from a screen.

My only advice is an expensive one. Print them off. Totally ruins the savings from the humble bundle. 🙄 Know any noble paladins who'll come to your aid?

Retreater

Legend
My fiancée got reading glasses designed to reduce eye strain when reading screens. That might help.
Most e-ink readers do not read PDFs - so you might be out of luck there.
Try adjusting your tablet/phone/computer's brightness and other settings?
As a librarian who loves books, I feel your pain. I also have pretty awful vision. It's also hard to pass up these deals.
What I would recommend is buy/borrow physical books when you can to get that experience. When you have to read something online, take breaks with a real book for that feel.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I still prefer printed books in many ways, but the size of the iPad I have really helps bridge the gap between a book in hand and the tablet in hand. The size feels good - and that's the regular 9.whatever-10.2" size, not the bigger Pro. It really makes the disconnect between tablet and book expectations smaller. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

I use the tablet quite often running PF now - particularly for the AP issues. I still often pull out my Core Rulebook for reference, but I reference the AP volumes exclusively on the iPad. It really saves them a lot of wear and tear since they aren't as durable as the hardcovers.
I use GoodReader and have been making extensive use of bookmarks too to jump around easily.

jaycrockett

Explorer
My only advice is an expensive one. Print them off. Totally ruins the savings from the humble bundle. 🙄 Know any noble paladins who'll come to your aid?
Free when you print from work! :)
Seriously though, if have a nice big tablet and it still isn't doing it for you, it's probably never going to. I still prefer books but I'm starting to come around on PDFs. I think they are better for rules books anyway.

darjr

I crit!
iPad with the fast refresh screen. I read that and it’s really the only enjoyable way I read PDFs or DnDBeyond.
Also the iPads seem to handle moving around a pdf far more intuitively than android or PCs or even Linux. Things like easily expanding columns without having to fiddle with the size, to swiping around inside a page and from over to page. It’s weird, those properties persist from iPad app to iPad app.

I think I’d prefer a Amazon e ink reader. Those are awesome, but pdf support is a disaster, and there isn’t any DnDBeyond support.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Being able to CTRL-F is the biggest pro of PDFs for me.

I do prefer to have the actual books when I'm at the table playing, though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases