So there's pretty much no hope for a DM guide 3 with epic support.... im guessing...

Riastlin

First Post
Personally, I tend to agree with El Mahdi, but I don't want to turn this into an edition whine thread.

As for a DMG 3 or general Epic tier book, I will say that I agree that I am disappointed that one almost certainly will not be coming out. The writing's been on that wall for some time now though unfortunately. I think its quite likely that WotC's numbers showed that there was relatively little in the way of Epic Tier games being played. My own highly unscientific analysis has suggested this as well as not too many people seem to have played Epic.

To be fair though, I also think that a lot of this has to do with a chicken or the egg scenario. Are people not playing Epic because there isn't much support, or is there a lack of support because people aren't playing epic? I think the number of people playing Epic has to be evaluated by WotC though in deciding whether or not to publish an Epic book. They likely can't really afford to publish a DMG 3 that only sells (as an extreme example) 100 copies. I trust that WotC knows where the profit line is in this regard and has a fair idea as to whether or not they can reach it. Personally, I think that if WotC were convinced that a DMG 3 would be hugely successful for them, we'd have already seen it.

I think another issue here is that the necessary Epic Tier "support" likely isn't exactly a simple fix either. 4ed does a great job of providing a host of tactical options. Unfortunately, as you get into late paragon and certainly epic tier, this creates all kinds of headaches with regard to the system as it was initially designed. I know in my last session, the party was fighting a balor husk and the fight went something like this:

Inovker: I hit, so its prone and dazed till end of it's next turn
Cleric: I hit, so its dazed til end of my next turn
Rogue: I hit, its dazed until end of my next turn
Invoker: I hit, the next ally to attack it gets +X to hit, and the next time an ally hits it before the end of my next turn its dazed til . . .
Invoker: Action Point. I hit again, its now vulnerable 5 to all damage, etc.

Near the end of the fight, we were all actually surprised when the balor stood up. "I didn't know it could stand, lol" etc. Thing was, it took that long for the balor to become undazed and thus make standing up worthwhile. The party is 18th level btw. Now sure, we can start giving some protection against status effects (and its practically mandatory on solos to do so) but there's also the issue of the party is simply not missing because they get so many conditional bonuses to attacks, etc. Now, my players are pretty good tacticians and that's part of it, and a less tactical driven group maybe won't have as many bonuses to hit, etc. And that right there is a big part of the rub. A simple fix for my group is to simply up the defenses on the monsters by a couple of points, but for another group that could make combat incredibly drawn out. In other words, it comes down to each DM needing to adjust things for his or her particular group anyway, and if few people are going to buy the book to begin with, then you really have a recipe for failure on WotC's part.

Now, of course the question still remains as to why people are not playing epic. Personally, I think that the lack of support is a part of it, but not all of it. As I mentioned, my group is now level 18. We play every other week. In three weeks, we will have been playing for 3 years and the party will likely be at 19 at that point. At that pace, it also means its likely another 2 years until we cap out at 30. Simply put, for a group of 35+ year old players with families, jobs, etc., that's a long time committed to a single campaign, PC, etc. Don't get me wrong, we love the campaign, and I love that its had this sustained success. But I also know that a large percentage of campaigns (both from anecdotal evidence and personal experience) flame out long before the three year mark, much less the five year mark. Players want to try different characters. DM's want to try different settings. Groups want to try different systems. Etc., etc.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
How is it that 4E players are being "kicked to the wayside"...?

I think "kicked to the wayside" is too strongly worded by I sympathize with the sentiment. WotC has shifted the majority of their creative energy into developing 5th Edition (which is perfectly fair) and it's going to be a while until its release. Not releasing any more 4E books is certainly not personal and it's not expected that an edition should be produced forever. But it would be nicer if they had more 4E material to release before the advent of 5th Ed.

Pour

First Post
I think "kicked to the wayside" is too strongly worded by I sympathize with the sentiment. WotC has shifted the majority of their creative energy into developing 5th Edition (which is perfectly fair) and it's going to be a while until its release. Not releasing any more 4E books is certainly not personal and it's not expected that an edition should be produced forever. But it would be nicer if they had more 4E material to release before the advent of 5th Ed.

I'd also add that the support it does get it not nearly substantial enough, something like 4-6 'articles' in Dragon and maybe 2 adventures in Dungeon per month. Couple that with the frustrations over gross mismanagement, Essentials, the stifling of 3rd party with the GSL (which might have alleviated the lack of support at this stage), the insipid and vocal minority rejoicing at the 'death' of 4e, the questions on whether or not 5e can provide a 4ther's desired experience, and several design holes (Epic, for instance) and there you go.

Hey Riastlin! :)

Riastlin said:
I know in my last session, the party was fighting a balor husk and the fight went something like this:

Inovker: I hit, so its prone and dazed till end of it's next turn
Cleric: I hit, so its dazed til end of my next turn
Rogue: I hit, its dazed until end of my next turn
Invoker: I hit, the next ally to attack it gets +X to hit, and the next time an ally hits it before the end of my next turn its dazed til . . .
Invoker: Action Point. I hit again, its now vulnerable 5 to all damage, etc.

Try:

Elite Resilience: This creature is immune to negative conditions and effects until bloodied.

Solo Resilience: This creature is immune to negative conditions and effects until reduced to 25% of its total hit points.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Hey Riastlin! :)

Try:

Elite Resilience: This creature is immune to negative conditions and effects until bloodied.

Solo Resilience: This creature is immune to negative conditions and effects until reduced to 25% of its total hit points.

Here is my house rule:

For Solos and Elites: They make all saves at the BEGINNING of their turns. They also get to roll saves against effects that don't normally allow a save.

For all monsters and players: A natural 20 on any one save, means all ongoing conditions end immediately.

If all that fails and there is still a condition thats driving me nuts, then monsters can automatically end any effect in exchange for taking 5 damage per tier. I try to use the last one sparingly since I like my players to feel like their powers work. But endless stun locking annoys me as the DM.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
How is it that 4E players are being "kicked to the wayside"...?
"Thrown under the bus" might be a better way of putting it.

Of course though, with a new edition coming out, they are going to phase out printing "new" 4E books. ...No edition or game stays in active production forever. It's a fact of life, and nothing personal.
Of course. But no ed of D&D has ever been killed inside of 4 years. 3e went 8, 2e and 1e 10 each, BECMI 15 from first publication of a basic set to the Rules Cyclopeadia going out of print, and even the original game stayed in print for years after AD&D and BECMI were released.

S'mon

Legend
Now, of course the question still remains as to why people are not playing epic. Personally, I think that the lack of support is a part of it, but not all of it. As I mentioned, my group is now level 18. We play every other week. In three weeks, we will have been playing for 3 years and the party will likely be at 19 at that point. At that pace, it also means its likely another 2 years until we cap out at 30. Simply put, for a group of 35+ year old players with families, jobs, etc., that's a long time committed to a single campaign, PC, etc. Don't get me wrong, we love the campaign, and I love that its had this sustained success. But I also know that a large percentage of campaigns (both from anecdotal evidence and personal experience) flame out long before the three year mark, much less the five year mark. Players want to try different characters. DM's want to try different settings. Groups want to try different systems. Etc., etc.

I think this is definitely an issue - most groups never get to Epic, or may do someday, but aren't there yet!

My group of 20-39 year olds has had 21 3-hour sessions in just over a year, we currently are good about always playing fortnightly, so with a couple weeks off annually we are up around 24 sessions/year currently. The PCs started at 1st and are currently 7th level, 1-2 sessions off 8th. I would love to take the game up into Epic level, but at ca 3 sessions per level that will take us ca 60 sessions or about 2.5 years; completing a 1-30 campaign would be ca 90 sessions or nearly 4 years, if all goes smoothly. And people get new jobs, have children, move away from London etc. Currently of the 5 players who started the campaign 2 have left, and 1 is very irregular. I'm not sure what the chances are of getting to 21st or 30th with any of the original players.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
"Thrown under the bus" might be a better way of putting it.

Yeah, not seeing that either...so no, not a better way of putting it.

How about "feeling disenfranchised because WotC is moving on"...or "feeling like your not WotC's favoites anymore".

"Kicking to the wayside" or "Throwing under the bus" are both things that are active and malicious. WotC is actively moving on, but they are far from being purposefully or even accidentally malicious...so no, still incorrect.

...But no ed of D&D has ever been killed inside of 4 years. 3e went 8, 2e and 1e 10 each, BECMI 15 from first publication of a basic set to the Rules Cyclopeadia going out of print, and even the original game stayed in print for years after AD&D and BECMI were released.

I Agree. And regardless of the reasons for this, it's a damn shame. More 4E materials would have been cool, but I understand their need to focus their resources. It's definitely a plus though that with this edition change, the previous editions fans still have some pretty cool and official online tools to continue support of their favorite edition...at least until after 5E comes out that is (after that, who knows???). That kind of support didn't exist with past edition changes.

But even the shorter lifespan of 4E is not evidence of actively malicious intent towards 4E fans.

:)

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah, not seeing that either...so no, not a better way of putting it.
OK, we can keep trying... ;)

How about "feeling disenfranchised because WotC is moving on"...
That's certainly how the 3.5 holdouts felt when 4e was coming out, and the metaphorical shoe's on the other foot, now, eh?

But, no, not quite. Because 'moving on' implies progress, rather than going backwards.

or "feeling like your not WotC's favoites anymore".
4e's been too controversial for its fans to have ever gotten the feeling of being 'favorites,' no.

"Kicking to the wayside" or "Throwing under the bus" are both things that are active and malicious.
Active, yes. Malicious, well, not quite. Not malice aforethought, more depraved indifference. WotC is sacrificing the contributions 4e made to the evolution of the game, and, incidentally it's fans, to please it's former fans who have been relentlessly bashing and 'hating on' it for the last 4 years.

But even the shorter lifespan of 4E is not evidence of actively malicious intent towards 4E fans.
It's evidence that 4e is getting different (and worse) treatment than prior eds - the same goes for it's fans, by extension. It's evidence that the edition wars are over, and 4e lost. And to the victor goes the spoils, no?

Pour

First Post
It's evidence that the edition wars are over, and 4e lost. And to the victor goes the spoils, no?

Maybe, but now that so many of us have tasted the fruits of balance and transparency, I imagine the next 4 years are going to be filled with our dismissal and gnashing. Edition War II is revving up already, and this time it has more entrenched editioners than ever (still playing 1e - 4e), the burgeoning 5thers, PF, all the retroclones, and all the splintered offshoots like Dungeonworld and 13th Age. It's going to be glorious.

I mean just look at the 5MW backlash over the last two days, and the venom and devotion toward traditional Vancian. Unity requires even the smallest modicums of compromise, and that is untenable to the camps. Granted, it's obscenely early, but in the quirky, ungainly evolution of D&D, the sores, pockmarks, and mutations are as much the system as the math and concepts. Up until 4e, where balance became a design goal, the appealing bits were the minutia, subsystems, weirdness, and nostalgia. You're not going to be able to distill that into a True D&D on which to build.

Not like all of this arguing/theory discussion and legends and lore are earning them more fans, or stoking the fires of optimism. The more time goes by, I think the harder their goal will be, especially without another playtest- which, depending on the direction, seems to risk losing more than it gains. What are they actually doing producing new versions based on playtest feedback beyond catering to one segment of the testers and not the others? Isn't that shaving away the potential adopters by its very nature? Modularity was a nice notion to get us all drinking from the same well, but unless ALL of those modules ship with core release, why would anyone forfeit their edition of choice to play a skeleton with the promise of edition emulation- which they have to pay additional money to acquire!

I'm beginning to think 4thers incompatible with the previous guard, who really aren't very compatible with one another, either.

Remove ads