So was it a poison pill?

macd21

Adventurer
Why would anyone take royalties on profits, most small companies profits are zero...
I believe it was royalties only on the revenue over 750k, so not that much at all.
You take royalties on profits because if you don’t, you’re likely to destroy the viability of the company.

25% of revenue over 750k would render most of the larger 3PPs unviable. It could wipe out their profit margins, or even result in them losing money.

Retreater

Legend
Seems a needlessly complicated way of doing it.
I don't know. They can still claim they have an OGL, get good press for taking out objectionable content and NFTs, scrub the non-DND Beyonders out of the fandom, and they get all their largest competitors out of the market. That's a win-win-win-win.
Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with a better way of achieving these goals.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know. They can still claim they have an OGL, get good press for taking out objectionable content and NFTs, scrub the non-DND Beyonders out of the fandom, and they get all their largest competitors out of the market. That's a win-win-win-win.
Maybe I'm just not imaginative enough to come up with a better way of achieving these goals.
Just getting rid of the OGL accomplishes all those except ‘claim they have an OGL’.

Retreater

Legend
Like I said, needlessly complicated way to do it.

I mean, if what you’re saying is that you believe that was the plan, not sure what to tell you. I don’t think so.
Yes, the simplest answer is usually the right one.
So they either didn't care about the impact or didn't think it would be taken this way - meaning they didn't care to talk to the community.
Either way, they don't care.

Remove ads