So what are you reading this year 2021?

Nellisir

Hero
New year, new thread.
Between my gf and myself I got The Expanse RPG; Deep Magic; and The Compendium of Forgotten Secrets: Awakening for RPG books so far, so that's what I've been occupied with. Really impressed by all of them.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I've been reading the Sandman Slim novels. I'm not sure how much I like them. They are ok, and I like the punk rock attitude of the main character; but often I find the interrelationships between everyone confusing. I'm 5 books in; and while indeed there was a long break between me reading 1&2 and 3-5 recently, there are a lot of characters who come back that I'm like - uh, is that person important?

Just started 1st book of Murderbot Diaries. Looking forward to it, have heard good things.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm currently reading the Arc of a Scythe series by Neil Shusterman. I'm on the third and final book, and the series is a really good read. It contains a very unique and realistic utopic world. I definitely recommend it.

GreyLord

Legend
Well, last year I set out to read the Neuromancer series and the Wheel of Time series. Finished the First easy, didn't finish the second. Got bogged down by Wheel of Time but managed to eek out finishing Book 11. Started Book 12 (the Gathering Storm) over Christmas and it's actually moving a LOT faster (or at least a lot more fun reading it) and already 2/3 of the way through. Figure I'll actually finish the WoT series this year, if the last few books are like Book 12, probably within the next month.

After that, perhaps Redwall. I've also gotten several history books to refresh my memory on the History of Great Britain (so, not just Britain, but England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales with various books detailing the history of each).

Nellisir

Hero
I've been reading the Sandman Slim novels. I'm not sure how much I like them. They are ok, and I like the punk rock attitude of the main character; but often I find the interrelationships between everyone confusing. I'm 5 books in; and while indeed there was a long break between me reading 1&2 and 3-5 recently, there are a lot of characters who come back that I'm like - uh, is that person important?

Just started 1st book of Murderbot Diaries. Looking forward to it, have heard good things.
I felt basically the same way about Sandman Slim. It's fine, but honestly Mike Carey's series is a lot better.

Murderbot IS THE BEST!!!!

Nellisir

Hero
The books I got for Christmas...
Piers Anthony Macroscope
EL Doctorow Ragtime
Barry Hughart Bridge of Birds

Just finished Murderbot Diaries vol 1 All Systems Red and super enjoyed it.
Dude. Bridge of Birds. Number Ten Ox. Master Li has a slight flaw in his character.

Also, I'm currently reading Karen Memory, also by Elizabeth Bear. (I think I've been confusing her with Elizabeth Moon.) She is really good, and I am absolutely going to search out more of her books. Murderbot is so worth it.

Nellisir

Hero
I happened to be at the Book Warehouse yesterday. I don't exactly need more books, but I had to pick up my daughter in the outlet mall.... Turned out to be a major score.

Karen Memory, by Elizabeth Bear, which was on my Amazon shortlist.
Assassin's Fate, by Robin Hobb, which was on my Amazon shortlist.
The Edge of Worlds, by Martha Wells. I'm kinda meh on the Raksura books but I REALLY like everything else Martha Wells has done, so...
Agatha H and the Voice of the Castle, by Phil and Kaja Foglio. I've read the first book and enjoyed it, and..Phil Foglio. Can't go wrong.
Dragon Weather, by Lawrence Watt-Evans. I don't know this one, but I generally know of Lawrence Watt-Evans and I'm cool with taking a chance.

Richards

Legend
I finished Crooked River (which was good) and am now starting a rather lengthy novel by Pamela Sargent called Venus of Dreams. It's apparently a multigenerational saga about the future colonization of the planet Venus and has spawned a sequel or two. I don't recall having read anything of hers, but the back cover blurb sounded interesting and at 536 pages for a 50-cent paperback from a library book sale I'm getting quite the bargain if it's good.

Johnathan

Remove ads