So what are you reading this year 2021?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I HAD been reading Tigana up until today. But it’s such a slog I just couldn’t continue any longer. So I completely switched gears and started I, Strahd, which I’ve never read before.
Different strokes for different folks, but I'd urge you to go back to Tigana and push through. I'm a big GGK fan, and Tigana is one his best. It's just a lot of different things happening.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
I've read four of the Murderbot series, slight but enjoyable. I re-read Peter Watt's Blindsight, followed by Echopraxia. They're both intriguing, but the second isn't as meaty as the first. His exploration of ideas is great, though. From one end of the positivity spectrum to the other, I'm close to finishing Kim Stanley Robinson's Ministry of the Future.

The first half shows how much naughty word we're in, which he depicts incredibly well, and the various ways of overcoming and reducing the forces of climate change are absorbing and informative. It's actually possible, even from here and now. He mentions them in passing but Kim's really too nice to write the bits I'd like to have followed: eco-terrorists and black departments that did the dirty work. Especially after seeing how the book starts. That's gonna stick with me - KSR should try his hand at horror.

. From one end of the positivity spectrum to the other, I'm close to finishing Kim Stanley Robinson's Ministry of the Future.

The first half shows how much naughty word we're in, which he depicts incredibly well, and the various ways of overcoming and reducing the forces of climate change are absorbing and informative. It's actually possible, even from here and now. He mentions them in passing but Kim's really too nice to write the bits I'd like to have followed: eco-terrorists and black departments that did the dirty work. Especially after seeing how the book starts. That's gonna stick with me - KSR should try his hand at horror.
I read it and thought it was interesting, I would have preferred also to have seen more about what was being done off the record, along with more info regarding the climate induced disasters.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
I've just started on Remembrance of Things Past, which I've had sitting around for ages but never read. Quite enjoying it so far. I can already see why it's so long, since there is a lot of introspection and little of anything actually happening.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I've read four of the Murderbot series, slight but enjoyable. I re-read Peter Watt's Blindsight, followed by Echopraxia. They're both intriguing, but the second isn't as meaty as the first. His exploration of ideas is great, though. From one end of the positivity spectrum to the other, I'm close to finishing Kim Stanley Robinson's Ministry of the Future.

Gawd I love Peter Watts, but his stuff is b.l.e.a.k.
I'm also a fan of KSR, at least most of it. Haven't read Ministry of the Future, but it's on my TBR list.

Speaking of climate change, I am up for any solar punk stories folks have read and enjoyed.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Inconceivable. My favorite author.
Part 1 was roughly 200 pages. I could summarize everything important that happened in one paragraph without missing anything of consequence. It seemed to drag on and on, spending significant page count on Devin reminiscing about having been laid or trying to get laid or being left out. And reminding the reader that Barbadians were bad. Over and over.

Not saying it's a bad story or anything, just not my cup of tea.

Remove ads