So what are you reading this year 2021?

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Finished Queen of Angels by Greg Bear, next is Slant, then Heads (which I am going to send to someone if they still need it), and Moving Mars to finish the series.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
More than half way through Crooked Kingdom, sequel to Six of Crows. Really enjoying it. This has enough plan-counterplan-twist-scheming face-another twist-counterplan chess going on with a healthy dollop of character and relationship development. About the only part I didn't like was sudden introduction of a nemesis that felt like they should be in a high fantasy novel, and I'm not talking about the one from the prelude.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Finished Mary Robinette Kowal's Calculating Stars, enjoyed immensely.
Now reading SK Divya's Machinehood.
Will probably also read a bunch of graphic novels, I've got 8-9 stored up.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Just finished Reese & Reeves: Overture by K.L Brown.

It is a weird steampunk novel that are supposed to be the start of a series clearly filtered through a manga-lens of victorian life. Bought it through a kickstarter. I do have the followup-book as well. The author makes it hard on herself (and the reader) by having her two protagonists have almost the same name.

It is an ok debut, though some better proofreading would not have hurt.

And still reading that archery coaching manual. Doesn't really give my anything as it is clearly aimed only at recurve (olympic) style archery, and we use different manuals for teaching here in Sweden. Also reading Blades in the Dark.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
My gaming friend from work lent me a book he wants me to read, The Big Book of the Continental Op by Dashiell Hammett. It's a compendium of all 28 stories and two serialized novels from the pulp magazines. I've never read any Dashiell Hammett before but I've recently taken a liking to detective fiction so I'll looking forward to giving him a try. If I like him, this is what I'll be reading for quite some time - the book is 733 pages long, and that's in an oversized book (the pages are 7" by 9.25" with two columns per page).

Johnathan

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finished Name of the Wind. He didn't even pretend that was a whole book. Which I find interesting. Really a fan.... Looking forward to the next one.

At this point, I fear that, like GRRM, he's never going to finish the Kingkiller Chronicles. Ever since last year, when his editor said that she hasn't seen a single page from Doors of Stone, I've just resigned myself to it. And now he's talking about a book 4, when he hasn't even finished what was supposed to be the conclusion.

I haven't read them yet, but I knew it wasn't finished. My big beef was I saw Patrick advertise on his Twitter the "Tenth Anniversary Edition" and was like "YOU DON'T GET A TENTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE SERIES YET!!!" LOL

Nellisir

Hero
My gaming friend from work lent me a book he wants me to read, The Big Book of the Continental Op by Dashiell Hammett. It's a compendium of all 28 stories and two serialized novels from the pulp magazines. I've never read any Dashiell Hammett before but I've recently taken a liking to detective fiction so I'll looking forward to giving him a try. If I like him, this is what I'll be reading for quite some time - the book is 733 pages long, and that's in an oversized book (the pages are 7" by 9.25" with two columns per page).

Johnathan
I like Dashell Hammett OK, but Raymond Chandler is where it's at for me. His plots are...occasional, at best, but the phrasing and imagery is just...stunning.

Remove ads