So what DOES 1.1 allow?

Remathilis

Legend
A lot is being said about how 1.1 kills or attempts to kill 1.0a. That's being discussed everywhere.

Let's pretend 1.0a never existed and WotC is just making 1.1. No Paizos, no other large OGL games. WotC releasing 1.1 is the first opportunity to make D&D related content in the world.

What is in it for me?

That's not a flippant statement. Someone please explain (like I was 12 if that helps) what are the advantages and disadvantages of using it? Don't compare it to 1.0a, I just want to know what 1.1 alone would offer.

Anyone who can parse legalese, this would be appreciated.

mamba

Legend
You can use specific stuff from WotC's SRD (what exactly that is is not clear, your best guess is the OGC from the current one), provided you are ok with all the restrictions imposed on you

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, in the snarkiest way possible...

It gives you the right to publish stuff based on their rulesets, with the added features that they take a cut if you do well, can change the amount of cut with 30 days notice, and can revoke your right to publish at any time, while they retain the right to publish your stuff without paying you in perpetuity.

OB1

Jedi Master
The primary advantage is that you get to publish printed materials (including PDFs) that includes official D&D content. You also benefit from D&D's popularity.
The primary disadvantage is that on revenues over 750k, you pay a royalty to WotC (and also must report revenues over 50k).

It's up to you if the benefit to your product of D&Ds popularity outweighs the cost of paying WotC a royalty on revenues over 750k.

I think the Non-Commercial license is okay. It's pretty much a non-commercial share-alike license. I honestly think the Commercial license amounts to "Come talk to us or stick to DM's Guild." Even if you never expect to get near the $750,000 royalty threshold, I can't see why any commercial publisher would accept the terms of this license.

Reynard

Legend
I think the Non-Commercial license is okay. It's pretty much a non-commercial share-alike license. I honestly think the Commercial license amounts to "Come talk to us or stick to DM's Guild." Even if you never expect to get near the $750,000 royalty threshold, I can't see why any commercial publisher would accept the terms of this license.
Which tracks with the apparent intent: control D&D.

A lot is being said about how 1.1 kills or attempts to kill 1.0a. That's being discussed everywhere.

Let's pretend 1.0a never existed and WotC is just making 1.1. No Paizos, no other large OGL games. WotC releasing 1.1 is the first opportunity to make D&D related content in the world.

What is in it for me?

That's not a flippant statement. Someone please explain (like I was 12 if that helps) what are the advantages and disadvantages of using it? Don't compare it to 1.0a, I just want to know what 1.1 alone would offer.

Anyone who can parse legalese, this would be appreciated.
IANAL, but from reading it.

1) Two licences, commercial and non-commercial.

2) Non-commercial only applies if you ONLY give away stuff for free. Any kind of paywall or anything at all except tip buckets like KoFi, you are commercial. Even barter or exchange makes it commercial (they specify!).

3) Non-commercial lets others use your work - any or all of - you can't protect any of it. So it's like you marked the entire document (including illustrations, maps, etc.) "Open Gaming Content" under OGL 1.0a.

4) Commercial to be clear, does not let you share anything with anyone, but WotC, so I know the focus isn't on restrictions, but I just need that to be clear. There is no "open" and no "sharing" with any but WotC with Commercial.

5) What can you sell under the OGL? Print and PDF/ePub/mobi essentially. That's it.

They specifically ban a bunch of stuff, but we're not talking about that. Assume if I didn't say it you can't.

6) However, they are clear you get to sell "self-merch" pretty freely. Physical goods particularly. So long as they're 100% about your IP and not D&D. So minis, letter-openers, dice, etc. - are all going to be fine so long as you don't but anything from the SRD on them, or anything WotC owns. They also don't count against the $750k. But the second something touches the SRD or even thinks about it, it does count.

7) You get a logo.

8) You get to use anything in the SRD 5.1.

No that's not a typo. Only that SRD. Not a future SRD. Not a past SRD. Just 5.1. Also you've got to mark everything in your book that is from the SRD. Examples they suggest are a different font, different colour text, or pages at the back listing out what's SRD and what's not. Yes I know we already had access to it under OGL 1.0a lol.

8) You get a number of requirements from WotC you have to fulfil that increase as you make more money per annum.

So what's in it for you? A logo, a single specific SRD you already have access to, and legal safe-harbour. And it all it cost you was the entire concept of Open Gaming. It's very hard to see why anyone would sign up to this, given the main reason people went OGL in the first place was the Open Gaming bit.

TLDR: The only actual carrot is a logo. Everything else carrot-flavoured was in OGL 1.0a.

I think the Non-Commercial license is okay. It's pretty much a non-commercial share-alike license.
I don't agree because it's basically IP-destroying, as everything it is auto-shared. You have no designation or control at all. I think licences like that make sense for software, but for creative stuff, they make no sense unless you're intending to never make any money from stuff related to that.

Remove ads