If You're "Permanently" Boycotting WotC, They're Not Going To Listen To You

overgeeked

B/X Known World
You know how there are people who bring up 4e in completely unrelated threads? For and against?
You know how there are people who will fight to the death over the last Star Wars Trilogy? For and against?

Within 40K, there are 3 events, names, or rule sets, off the top of my head, that people will, 20+ years later, bring up and fight over. My son was not yet born before a few of these, and hes now out of high school.

To put it as bluntly as possible, and I'm not disparaging anyone here, we are a bunch of nerds. We fight over things, WELL past the date of relevance. We get discussions locked, we generate further discussion, we get heated, and even at our most reasonable, we find things that we disagree on so completely, there can never ever be resolution.

And yet we persist.

You know what Wizbro has done in the last week?

Created a whole bunch of people who will be around in 10, 20, 30 years, and will STILL be poisoning the well.

So what can Wizbro do? I think Penny Arcade put it best.

They may not win people back, they wont lose everyone though, there are people declaring their eternal attachment to D&D as we speak, who are in some state of mourning over a brand name, and thats fine, I get it, I went through the same with GW recently.

What Wizbro can do, is turn around, and walk back out, and not give nerds, a reason to still be talking about this in 30 years.
I don't necessarily "like" this, but it's 100% true. Well said.

We are a bunch of pointlessly argumentative nerds.

Scribe

Legend
Yeah but I don't agree with that either.

You dont have to. The point is, the actions of the company have created a sentiment that leads to such expression.

Winning people back is nice, they will do so for some.

Backing people off the edge of 'I want this company to burn.' is another step in that process that they should take, because well, we are nerds and going off the rails, over the top, for decades, over trivial naughty word, is what we do.

Bix and Box

Explorer
In recent OGL threads, I have seen probably dozens of posters, many of them regulars on this site, claiming that they will never buy anything from WotC ever again, even if they "fix" the 1.1 OGL. And while I can sympathize and see how it may be tempting to say "screw them, they're not getting a single penny out of me now", I staunchly believe that this mindset is not just unhelpful, but actively harmful to the goal that the community should be united on...

So, two and a half weeks later, a lot has changed.

How do you feel about this?

Do you think WotC might have caved because of the threat of permanent boycotts?

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
So, two and a half weeks later, a lot has changed.

How do you feel about this?

Do you think WotC might have caved because of the threat of permanent boycotts?
I believe that WotC caved because they would have lost a lot more money if they hadn't. So, yeah, I stand by my position. I don't think WotC would be as quick to correct course if they didn't think they could salvage the situation.

Dustin_00

Explorer
As a DM and a player, the new OGL wasn't of much interest.

As a consumer that saw 1,500 smaller companies being bullied by 1 company, I'm left asking: do I support the monolith, or do I want a vibrant, diverse ecosystem.

One or 1,500?

I'm not mad at WotC. I'm indifferent. There's no reason to support the monolith. Why would anybody? With each edition, they burn all the digital support for the previous edition to the ground. Okay, I'm not completely indifferent.

But I AM excited to support 1,500 other companies that are all gathered under one banner where they promise not to bully each other with legal action.

I do see people asking "what do you want from One DnD" and those threads and now I do realize I want something: I want ALL of the previous edition character builders and other software tools back. I would literally pay money so I could open my character sheets from my 3.x games again.

Remove ads