Is Alta Fox the reason for OGL 1.1?

Now, you are a software Executive, and someone brings that to your attention. Whats your next step?

"Call the Lawyers."
The funny thing is that Microsoft, over the past decade (IMO since Satya Nadella took over) has developed a much better understanding of how open source software can actually benefit their business. I would have expected people from there to have a better understanding of how ecosystems around open licensing work.

Yaarel

He Mage
Ryan Dancey was talking about "network externality", where the number of people using a product creates more value than the product itself.

He gave the example, of the telephone. If only one person has a telephone, it lacks value. But the more people have telephones, the more value a telephone gains.

D&D depends on network externality. If only one person knows how to play D&D, it is of limited value. This is precisely the problem of many "heartbreakers", where the system is excellent but few people play it or are aware of it, so it is of limited value.

The OGL 1.0a caused a gaming community to become aware of D&D, even those who didnt play it directly.

The original OGL caused D&D to become a popculture phenomenon.

The OGL 1.0a enormously increased the value of the "D&D" brand.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Do I need those now?

Use this book without using the PHB, DMG, and MM as a person who doesn't have the core rules and may be entirely new to the game, seeing as how most of the populace has never played D&D in their lives.

Also, the very name "Tome of Beasts for 5th Edition" directs people to buy the 5e core books.

Like I get what you're saying. As someone who already owns those three, I don't need 'em. And someone using the SRD alone wouldn't need them, either. But they are -incentivized- to make that initial purchase. Which puts money in WotC's pocket. And is likely as not to lead them to buy more WotC products because they're the "Official" material.

Scribe

Legend

Use this book without using the PHB, DMG, and MM as a person who doesn't have the core rules and may be entirely new to the game, seeing as how most of the populace has never played D&D in their lives.

Also, the very name "Tome of Beasts for 5th Edition" directs people to buy the 5e core books.

Like I get what you're saying. As someone who already owns those three, I don't need 'em. And someone using the SRD alone wouldn't need them, either. But they are -incentivized- to make that initial purchase. Which puts money in WotC's pocket. And is likely as not to lead them to buy more WotC products because they're the "Official" material.

I understand you, but I get a feeling there is some tiptoe action going around the topic.

I agree 3PP lifts wizards up, but when the PHB is replaced by a 3rd party... I am not sure Wizards looks at it the same way.

GreyLord

Legend
The funny thing is that Microsoft, over the past decade (IMO since Satya Nadella took over) has developed a much better understanding of how open source software can actually benefit their business. I would have expected people from there to have a better understanding of how ecosystems around open licensing work.

Have you seen Windows 10 and 11?

They practically hijack your computer when they want to do an update, at some point whether you want that update or not if you are a home user.

Sure, MS donates to Open Source and other things, but their own ecosystem has gotten far more aggressively closed and demanding, as well as being more subjective to their demands over the past 10 years than anything they did before.

(IMO)

In an indirect way, yes, Alta Fox is a little responsible for this. They were the ones who lit a fire under Hasbro management to monetize D&D more. Their entire argument was that WotC should contribute more to shareholder value. Hasbro managed to stop Alta Fox from taking over the board and forcing a split, but it surely motivated the board and shareholders to try and make D&D profitable in the short term. The new OGL is definitely part of that response.

That being said, it's still Hasbro's own fault that they managed to screw things up so badly. The actions of Alta Fox applied political pressure for them to act. But Hasbro is ultimately responsible for the steps they took. This could have been done better in oh so many ways.

I wouldn't give NuTSR any credit for, well, anything. There are a number of game companies that actually released bigoted content under the OGL for years before NuTSR started their BS. Star Frontiers New Genesis never even made it to market (and probably never will). It would be deceptive of Hasbro to try and hide their money grab moves with the OGL behind excuses like SFNG.

Alt Fox didn't tell WotC to breach contracts or act stupid, they meant more and better quality D&D products.

If anything this opens up Hasbro to attacks from Alt Fox for mismanaging things so they can get their own folks in. Then they spin off WotC, sell their remaining Hasbro junk stock and put it all in WotC instead, with better leadership then it has now.

Remove ads