So what ever happened to the Far Realm?

Hey all,
I'm a bit new here, but I was wondering, what went wrong with the Far Realm?
It's been around since 2nd edition and all the monsters are amazingly complicated, but it kind of dropped off the map after 4th Edition did everything they could to make every aberration be a pawn of the Far Realm. so how did a dimension where even the gods were afraid to look become something DMs and Players strive to avoid?

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
so how did a dimension where even the gods were afraid to look become something DMs and Players strive to avoid?

Maybe it was a plot of the Far Realm entities all along?

I mean, there is a lot in 5e that hasn't been touched on yet. Far Realms is just one of them.

Though Mind Flayers seem to be a big component of the upcoming BG3 game, so... maybe this is something that will be changing soon'ish?

Fanaelialae

Legend
I don't think it's anything that anyone's striving to avoid. I think it's just that 5e hasn't delved much into the planes thus far, and the Far Realm is probably down the list. I'm AFB, but I think it at least gets a mention somewhere in the PHB or maybe DMG.

aco175

Legend
I would like to see more on the shadow plane and some of the others before getting to this one. Looks like the Avernus book starts with those planes where most players will explore first.

I would speculate that other planes get something if this book sells well and/or if they can tie it to other worlds like Greyhawk.

I’m hoping to see the plane of vacuum and ash become more fully developed first.

I'd love to see a book that covers all of the planes and introduces a few creatures from each. Vacuum and Ash are new to me, though. What books are they from?

I would speculate that other planes get something if this book sells well and/or if they can tie it to other worlds like Greyhawk.
Here's hoping. If Eberron goes well we might get some more of the major world settings like Greyhawk.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases