So what's your favourite beer? (Forked Thread)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As I said there:

Beers currently in my fridge: Harp, Shiner (Bock, Blonde, Helles), Newcastle Brown, Killian's Red, Warsteiner.

Other faves: Chimay, Duvel, Lindeman's Kriek Black Cherry, Guiness (albeit usually used for marinades), Shiner Black, Dragon Stout, anything by Razin Brewery (St. Petersburg, Russia- owned by Heineken, last I checked)- the last 2 of which I haven't been able to find since 2005.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Considering the poor quality of beer they make here in Finland I rarely drink any. But when I do it is usually imported stuff, with my favourite being Guinness Stout. Now if there were more imports easily available I might experiment more and find a new fave, but I'm lazy so I go with that :D

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I am a pretty big fan of the Rogue Brewery here in Portland. Their Dead Guy Ale is one of my favorites...same for Kells Irish Lager, or their Hazelnut Brown, or their Shakespeare Stout...it's all good.

If I'm getting something off of the grocery store shelf, however, it is usually Fat Tire or Sam Adams.

As for the hard stuff, I prefer Makers Mark.

Switchblade

First Post
If I just want one or two bottles it would have to be Firestoker (if I can find it), taste is wonderful but after a few beers it is a bit to subtle to notice so it's worth moving on to something else. Other favourites are Hobgoblin, London Pride, Speckled Hen, Black Sheep, Waggledance (honey beer) and Old Peculiar. If I want something a bit lighter Abbot is a good choice (and somewhat easier to find on tap). I'll drink Broadside on tap but never by bottle unless I really want to avoid soberty (something like a 2% difference in ABV, which I didn't discover until the morning after - I felt rough)

If I'm going for a stout first choice would be Maccelsons, tasty and far less alchoholic than my usual choice of ale with Guinness Original (bottled) being second, far nicer than Guinness draught which is a distant third.

Fav drink? Not a beer exactly but mead. Moniack mead to be precise. Most meads are just a bit to sweet or have an unpleasant aftertaste but Moniack is just right. Also palatable is the Pembroke Wineries range of mead but it isn't up to Moniacks grade. Neither are exactly easy to find without ordering directly from the makers however.

Spirits wise my current favs are Jaegermaester and Southern Comfort. Morgan's spiced rum mixed with hot apple juice or Gin and Elderflower Presse I also rate highly.

Wombat

First Post
I love a wide variety of beers. Of late, I have grown to love Stone Brewery of San Diego and their Arrogant B*****d Ale ;) (edited the spelling for the board).

Arrogant Bastard Ale - Stone Brewing Company - BeerAdvocate

I also like Mendocino (nee Hopland) Brewing Company with their Redtale Ale and other lovely brews

Mendocino Brewing Company

I also have a fondness for other liquorous beverages, including Ace Ciders, a wide variety of hearty red wines, and a small selection of hard liquors.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Forked from: How Many Beers per Gaming Session?

Figured I should fork this from the above thread since it's getting kinda off-topic.

I like to travel when I can. I like to have good beer at the places I stop. If I were to turn up in your part of the world, what would you recommend to drink? Feel free to wax lyrical about your favourite tipple. Heck, you even discuss non-beery drinks if your really want to.

cheers all!
Mm. Currently, Bridgeport IPA; but if you were to turn up here, I would recommend trying some of the Rogue brews, too (available in Astoria, Eugene, Newport, and Portland, OR; San Francisco, CA; Issaquah, WA; and from certain licensed distributors elsewhere -- info at rogue dot com).
I usually go for the IPA because it is lower-priced and much more readily available.

awayfarer

First Post
Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat is my favorite but I'll drink almost anything they put out. I'm fond of hefeweizen (no specific brand) and I'm starting to appreciate belgian ales.

I have a soft spot in my heart for anything by Burnside Brewery (Note: Site has music. You may want to turn your speakers down if you're in a public place.) Partly I like to plug them because they're from my hometown. Mostly I enjoy Burnside's beers for the fact that they're sold in big hillbilly jugs. :p

The Green Adam

First Post
Careful youre not becoming diabetic as your drinking style is similiar to mine ever since my body rebeled on me.

While definitely something to consider, I think its just linked to my odd biochemistry. Docs say I've got too much of some things and not enough of others that result in a high tolerance to alcohol, medicene (pain killers rarely work), I don't sleep very much normally and have a rather high overall stamina and resistance to physical fatigue. Trust me its got just as many drawbacks as benefits.

As I tell my friends and co-workers, all the good super powers were taken. ;)

Has anyone tried 'Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager'? I'm trying it for the first time now and its pretty darn good, maybe better then that even. Its a surprisingly crisp, dark malt lager made in New Orleans.

AD
"Beware of Romulans bearing gifts."

Wycen

Explorer
I drink various beers. I like most of the stuff from Pyramid brewery, I like cranberry lambic (or lambics, though they aren't "beer" are they). I like Samuel Adams, Gordon Biersch, amber ales, Trumer Pils, and I'll drink Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Pale Ale, Amber ale and Ice ale, plus Anchor Steam, Drake's stuff, Red Hook ESB...

I even drink Murphy's (Guiness), but I generally prefer ales, lagers, and lighter fair.

One thing that's fun is when my mom and dad go on trips, they usually try the local beer and when they get back we look for them at BevMo. So I've tried stuff from Italy, Australia, Greece and other places.

Right now I really like Miller Chill. I don't know why, maybe because after 30 or 40 minutes in the freezer it almost gets that Dr. Pepper slush consistency, which seems insane for a beer, but after it tastes great.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
My cup runneth over with all these wonderful sounding beers. (aside: what a nice idea. It is so long to the weekend. :( ) So if I have missed you in my want-to-be-drunken excitement I apologise.

Had a lot of Sam Adams and Fat Tire the first time I was in the States, only the basic ales as I was just drinking stuff that was on tap. I like beers on tap and it was all new and exotic and good.

Black Voodoo: no I have not tried it. I didn't come across that when I was in New Orleans. (Back on that first trip to the US.) Shame, it's a great name and I like a malty, dark beer.

Belgian Beers: they are fantastic. It is nice to walk into the Belgian Beer Cafe in the Rocks (Sydney) and just pick stuff at random. But my god they are strong. I work on the assumption that there's not much to do in Belgium hence the many beers that come in at 12-15%.

There's a good Bavarian restaurant just a block or so from the Belgian Cafe as well. German Beer is the dog's danglies as far I'm concerned. (translation: 'dog's danglies:' very very very good. See also 'Duck's Nuts.' ) The Germans make the best beer in the world. The ones I've had are not as crazy strong as those Belgian ones thus allowing me to drink more of them and enjoy the flavour.

Scotch: have indeed tried the Laguvulin and yes: yummmmmmmmmmmm.
Also very fond of the Laphroigh (sp?) another very peaty scotch. Feel I should repeat what I said over on the thread I forked this from: Suntori (Japanese scotch) is bloody good too. Not as peaty as the 2 above but oh so smooth. All time best scotch I ever had was at a scotch tasting night: Ardbeg's 'Lord of the Isles.' It was perfect. Just the right amount of peatiness. Just the right amount of that golden smoothness. Just... oh. My friends and I finished off the one bottle that was there. Have never seen it again. But if I do I might even part with the £500 (that was the price the rep at the Ardbeg stall quoted, and yes thats UK pounds) to buy it.

London Pride. Ah memories. Used to work in a bar in London (hey, I'm Australian, of course I did.) Had to draw off the beer in the lines for the ales every morning. And then taste it to make sure it was good. It's the rules, I had to follow the rules. :angel: Nothing like a couple of halves to start a morning.

Burnside Brewery looks good. And I'm with you on the Hill Billy jugs: tre chic.

Melbourne: Didn't used to like Melbourne. Note the past tense there. Just remember a trip years ago where I spent a week with my mother. bored. But I went there under my own steam a couple of years ago and have made 2 more trips since. Melbourne has some of the best pubs in the world. Love Northcote and is it Carlton? And is it Brunswick street, also heading north out of the city. St Kilda was OK but a bit mainstream for me. Sorry to be vague, but I have a tendency to get, er, vague when I go to a pub. In fact I am down to Melbourne for a week leading up to Christmas and planning a couple of big nights out. (taking out some friends who are in need of a night off from baby jail. And it is silly season.)

Oh I'm all overcome with a need for a beer. The sad thing is, this weekend I'm off to the Hunter Valley. That's wine country. I shall just have to make do. :devil:

Remove ads