D&D General So which 2e adventures are beloved?

I mostly ignored the modules of 4e because of how long combat always took and how infrequently my gaming group at the time convened. Doing the math, even a slim adventure would've taken at least 2-3 months to get through. But going back, yeah, there are some great adventures for 4e.

4e had some great adventures once the adventure designers found their stride with the game: e.g., Madness at Gardmore Abbey and Reavers of Harkenwold.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
4e had some great adventures once the adventure designers found their stride with the game: e.g., Madness at Gardmore Abbey and Reavers of Harkenwold.

Perhaps.

The thing being that I don't think my pattern here has anything to do with the quality of the adventures of each era/edition. It has more to do with my approach to D&D at each respective time in my life.

Did people play the Planescape adventures specifically? I have never met someone who did.

I can't speak for others, but I did. I absolutely loved the setting and tried to run as many canned adventures as I could.

I ended up running the following:

• The eternal boundary - Liked it. Good background and introduction adventure. Somewhat railroady and limiting for certain styles of play.
  • Well of Worlds - Anthology piece. Mostly good, but some polishing is needed. As is common for adventures of the era it tends to railroad the characters. Personally I found this most useful for mining for ideas for other adventures, but it was good for one shots or impromptu games.
  • The Deva Spark - This one was good. A slog, but the ending made it worthwhile. I recommend it just for that.
  • The Great Modron March - Fun adventure. Very well written. Nerd Immersion is doing a 5E conversion play through that's worth the watch.
  • Faction War - This one I didn't play, but did buy and read. it looked good from the read through, but can't confirm how it runs.
  • Dead Gods - I loved this one. Unlike a lot of older adventures this one allowed a lot of flexibility for running and had some good variety as well. Honestly I may convert this to 5E for my current players after my current campaign is done.

Remathilis

Legend
I can't speak for others, but I did. I absolutely loved the setting and tried to run as many canned adventures as I could.

I ended up running the following:

• The eternal boundary - Liked it. Good background and introduction adventure. Somewhat railroady and limiting for certain styles of play.
  • Well of Worlds - Anthology piece. Mostly good, but some polishing is needed. As is common for adventures of the era it tends to railroad the characters. Personally I found this most useful for mining for ideas for other adventures, but it was good for one shots or impromptu games.
  • The Deva Spark - This one was good. A slog, but the ending made it worthwhile. I recommend it just for that.
  • The Great Modron March - Fun adventure. Very well written. Nerd Immersion is doing a 5E conversion play through that's worth the watch.
  • Faction War - This one I didn't play, but did buy and read. it looked good from the read through, but can't confirm how it runs.
  • Dead Gods - I loved this one. Unlike a lot of older adventures this one allowed a lot of flexibility for running and had some good variety as well. Honestly I may convert this to 5E for my current players after my current campaign is done.
Modron March and Dead Gods were both excellent. Faction War was fun, but the damage it did wasn't worth it. Fires of Dis was boring iirc.

Remove ads