D&D 5E So which adventures/campaigns have you played so far?

wedgeski

Adventurer
At 5E launch, without a current face-to-face group, I managed to persuade one of my irregular groups to team up for a weekly online game using just Skype (anything more complex would have scared them off). We were all surprised how well it worked, and enjoyed Lost Mine immensely.

After that, I didn't really like the look of Hoard and decided to run Princes for them instead, with a big dollop of home-brew stuff in there to taste. That game is going very well.

Meanwhile, last year we stumbled across a local group desperate for a second DM, so I agreed to run a monthly Out of the Abyss game for them, which is going great. The group in question is so much fun to be around that we re-arranged our lives a bit so we could join in their weekly 5E Hoard game as well. As 99% DM, I had forgotten the simple joy of turning up every week and running a PC. We're having an absolute blast and have made a bunch of new friends in the process.

And on top of all that, the group that's currently playing Princes also turns up on my doorstep once every couple of months for some 5E Dragonlance. This is an original adventure set in a homebrew post-War of the Lance 5E conversion (see sig if interested). I submerged myself in 5E to design that adventure and while I went in liking the system, I came out with a full fledged love affair.

All-in-all, I couldn't ask for more really.

Ricochet

Explorer
Played Phandelver, and did the entire first season of Expeditions (Tyranny). Played part of Hoard of the Dragon Queen until the GM didn't have time to play anymore.
Ran a few homebrews too (short adventures), and am starting up Out of the Abyss shortly.

Been loving it - particularly Phandelver and a few of the Expeditions. (Tales Trees Tell is a great little module, for example).

Prism

Explorer
We run multiple campaigns in parallel as we switch between three DMs

We started of with Hoard of the Dragon Queen and played to completion although we didn't fancy continuing with the second module now we had kicked the tires of 5e so....

We started an FR based homebrew at 1st level set in Amn and the Jungles of Chult. I noticed that leveling up was much slower than when playing the official module. We tend to have much less combat in our homebrew stuff. We reached 4th level and then the DM (me) took a break to write the next part.

We took the characters from Hoard of the Dragon Queen and began the later sections of Princes of the Apocalypse after taking over from the initial NPC adventuring party that had cleared the dwarven city. We are now level 9 and nearly 10. Its ok but not gripping. Good dungeon crawl

We are also running through a custom version of the Scourge of the Sword Coast with 5th level characters on the weeks that one of the players can't make it. I can't comment on the module as we have customised it heavily but the locations (and maps) seem decent.

We also run a high level (20th) 5e conversion of our 25 year old campaign several weekends a year. All home brew, based in Forgotten Realms and planar. Recently we have killed the Archdevil Bel, searched for and found 10 Netherscrolls, made a deal with Zsass Tam and fought a demilich.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The problem with the official adventures for me is that the level advancement rate for 5e is way too fast for my tastes, and most of the official adventures (all of the main ones) are entire campaigns that take you from low to high level. This makes them extremely difficult to drop into an ongoing campaign. This means that 5e adventures are practically useless to me, compared to say AD&D adventures, that I can drop right into my campaign with a bit of conversion.

This is in a nutshell why I haven't purchased or used any of the official 5e WotC stuff except the starter set.

I can understand the appeal of a whole campaign in a box (er, book), but it's way too much for me and the levels are way too fast. And I understand that much of the adventures is modular and can be dragged and dropped into another campaign, but the books are way too expensive to just use piecemeal, especially since i have almost everything TSR ever published at my disposal.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
As a DM I run Lost Mines of phandelver and we are half of the way with the same group running Rise of Tiamat. Planning to run out of the abyss after that.

I have an online group whom I run the Randal morn trilogy to, from ad&d forgotten realms and just started princess of the apocalypse.

As a player I'm playing a dragonlance trilogy. We went through "in search of dragons", now finishing " dragon's magic " and we will play the last one I don't know the name.

I have plans of running the original temple of elemental evil, how the mighty are fallen and some other old adnd adventures in the realms, but since I have to finish all I have right now and with a dragon age RPG campaign on the horizon those have to wait.

meomwt

First Post
We started last February and manage (tops) 3 hours per session, so we are very slow. The PC's are at Level 5 in all that time.

I ran the first "Goblin Arrows" encounter from the Starter Set, then ran the party into "The Village of Hommlet" and from then into Nulb (trying to set them into the Temple of Elemental Evil, but they have been avoiding it of late).

In between, there have been adventures based on a LL dungeon "The Lost Tomb of Sigyfel," an expanded encounter at the Moat House with a tribe of Lizardmen, a heist from the home of Nulb's crime boss (I had been watching a lot of Boardwalk Empire in the run-up to that!) and becoming involved in a three-way battle for control of Nulb in the wake of the crime boss's demise.

My plan is to run them through a modified ToEE (I'm missing out the Elemental Nodes) and adding in a couple of extra side-quests of my own. The characters all have good reasons from their backgrounds to be in the area and some of these plot lines may pay out in the Temple.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I have also been reminded by this thread how slow my group is.

So far: B1, B4, and X1. And that's it! Well, that, and some home-brew stuff in between.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I've never run a purchased adventure. Although I picked up A Red and Pleasant Land last week and am intrigued enough to start a plan to run it.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
My inaugural 5e campaign was Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle intermixed with Scourge of the Sword Coast. That ran to 11th level.

These players are currently going through the King for a Day campaign in 5e (see drivethruRPG).

I ran both of the Tyranny of Dragons hardcovers intermixed with lots of the Adventures League stories during that season. This campaign just ended in December at level 14.

My all female player game ran through Phandelver then moved to Princes of the Apocalypse, which I’m running now.

And I’m currently a player (finally) in Out of the Abyss ran by a buddy who knew I needed a break.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Next session will probably reach said tower and see the PCs confront Prince Dojakht of Nibenay (a half-man half-centipede monstrosity)

Did you ever stat the Prince up for 5E? I remember loving this villain reading the Prism Pentad and wouldn't mind adding him to my list of current nasties.

Remove ads