So, who can 'authorize' and 'de-authorize' the OGL?

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
This is not legal advice. I am not a lawyer. This is just for fun.

The only reference to authorisation in the OGL v1.0a is in s9:

9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.

• The word 'authorized' appears nowhere else in the document, not even in the 'Definitions' section.
  • Nowhere does it say who can authorize the license, or how that is accomplished.
  • Therefore, there is no way in the license to de-authorize it. BUT --
  • If we accept the premise that 'de-authorization' exists (and we don't), then absent any other information, anybody can 'de-authorize' it.
  • And therefore anybody can authorize it.
If WotC 'de-authorizes' the OGL v1.0a, I hereby re-authorize it. According to the license, I have exactly as much ability to do so as WotC has. So do you.
:)
I had admittedly been wondering about this (specifically, whether all participants in the OGL 1.0a have the same rights as its creator), but then, the bit of the OGL where you can use it to license non-d20-SRD-based systems has always evaded my understanding. Would it be possible to maybe get an article on how that works, and why prevailing wisdom is that Wizards' say-so is still binding on such products?

I understand that it does, and is; I would just like it explained to me like I'm 8 years old.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
:)
I had admittedly been wondering about this (specifically, whether all participants in the OGL 1.0a have the same rights as its creator), but then, the bit of the OGL where you can use it to license non-d20-SRD-based systems has always evaded my understanding. Would it be possible to maybe get an article on how that works, and why prevailing wisdom is that Wizards' say-so is still binding on such products?

I understand that it does, and is; I would just like it explained to me like I'm 8 years old.
We disagree that it is.

I authorize the OGL for all who wish to use it, but only on business days between the hours of 7:35am and 4:00pm Tokyo time. After that, I only authorize for people who buy me a beer first.

This is not legal advice. I am not a lawyer. This is just for fun.

The only reference to authorisation in the OGL v1.0a is in s9:

9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.

• The word 'authorized' appears nowhere else in the document, not even in the 'Definitions' section.
  • Nowhere does it say who can authorize the license, or how that is accomplished.
  • Therefore, there is no way in the license to de-authorize it. BUT --
  • If we accept the premise that 'de-authorization' exists (and we don't), then absent any other information, anybody can 'de-authorize' it.
  • And therefore anybody can authorize it.
If WotC 'de-authorizes' the OGL v1.0a, I hereby re-authorize it. According to the license, I have exactly as much ability to do so as WotC has. So do you.

I too re-authorize this license

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases