• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So... who else has bought the new WFRP?

Bobitron

Explorer
Never was a huge fan of the rules in first edition, but I'm running a pbp of the introductory adventure soon. The new book is very nice, and I think the rules have been improved.

Ds Da Man

First Post
Got it off books-a-million for $26. I love the class changes, hate some of the magic changes. The skills and talents are D20ish, but fits alot better then the old rules. They added some cool careers (though Kithband Warrior is still more elf junk), and allowed Fate Points to serve in two different manners. The first is the same old fate points that allow the "Deux Ex Machina", the second is that it allows the players to use them as Fortune Points each session (+5% here, +1 there). Overall I could have kept the old one and been happy, but for $26.00 and extra careers, slight rules changes, FPs, and Tzeentch's Curse, WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Definately a must buy!

ForceUser

Explorer
Played this in high school and it was a lot of laughs. Glad to see the game experiencing a revival. Doubt I'll switch, though, since I have sooo many frigging d20 books and d20 is what the gang knows.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Breakdaddy said:
That seals it! Extra dead rats, what's not to love??? I am DEFINITELY getting this game! :cool:

Unfortunately, he still only gets one "small but vicious dog". Couldn't the new edition at least have given the poor guy a medium sized one?

But yeah, the game looks pretty amazing. If I were to start up a new campaign now, I would be sorely tempted to use WFRPG.

Ourph

First Post
Just got mine and I'm actually quite disappointed.

Chris Pramas proves it's possible to write a d20 game without requiring the use of a d20. It would be easier to convert most 3e adventures to this game than it would be to convert them to another edition of D&D.

It's got some good ideas, some good rules tweaks and a very unique magic system, but those advantages are offset by the bland, textbook-style writing I've come to expect from modern RPG books (was desperately hoping WHFRP would be different), a lot of uninspired fluff/flavor text which differs drastically from the gritty, dark atmosphere of the Old World established in the original WHFRP and a layout that stretches what is probably 200 pages worth of actual content to 250 pages of actual book (a far cry from the thoroughly-complete, densely-packed game found in the 350 pages of the original WHFRP).

I'm glad others seem to like it, but at this point I'm seriously considering returning it and getting my money back, as I can say definitively that I'm never going to run it as-is or even close to as-is.

Log my vote as a definite :\

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Refreshing

Ourph said:
Just got mine and I'm actually quite disappointed.

Refreshing! I love the new WFRP, but all the praise I and others lavish on it can probably get tiresome.

So some real honest dislike feels like a fresh breath of air.

:D

Cheers!

M.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
drakhe said:
Just got my hands on the bestiary and GM pack. I'm not too happy with the DM pack. I hate those low DM shields (contents look OK though) and the map included is functional but not very pretty. The booklet is handy but seems to repeat a lot of info (perhaps with some expanded tables)

The bestiary, is another beast (pun pun pun). I think a lot of people are going to dislike it for the limited number of actual creatures (think the classic WH critters and your basicaly done). But the amount of info you get on each is stunning. The book is divided in two parts.
Spoilers? Please share?

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I've been pretty impressed with what I have seen so far, honestly. However, any fantasy game may have some trouble bumping D&D/d20 for the simple fact that name recognition is a major factor.

Though I would love to actually get to play WFRP soon.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I flipped through it and was most impressed by Chris Pramas' writing. I like his words alot. The game oozes atmosphere and I would love to try it out as a player. I did play 1st Ed quite a lot in my teenage years (that is those years when every campaign was scrapped and rebooted every second week.)

The game-play is not to my liking. I'd rather play D&D but I still wouldn't hesitate to play WFRP.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads