D&D 5E So why are you buying 5th edition?

hanez

First Post
I like new books. Half the fun of D&D for me is buying them, readining them, plotting and planning. I bought 4e with gusto, but it failed to maintain my interest. Not really that interested in Pathfinder, rules are too stale for my liking.

Ill be buying 5e, Monte Cooke can do no wrong in my opinion. Arcana Evolved and Iron Heroes meshed together would be the perfect D&D if it was flavored properly IMHO.

S

Sunseeker

I'm not buying it right away, I never buy anything right away(unless there's a killer sale). I'll probably wait around 6 months or so to see how it's developed once it's released and see how much has to errated, maybe wait for my bookstore to have a big sale or something, see how other people react to it, ect...

Mercule

Adventurer
I like new books. Half the fun of D&D for me is buying them, readining them, plotting and planning. I bought 4e with gusto, but it failed to maintain my interest. Not really that interested in Pathfinder, rules are too stale for my liking.
While I disagree about Monte's infallibility, the above perfectly fits me.

PeacemakerSG

Banned
Banned
Post removed by Admin. It's fine if you don't agree with moderation, but we expect you to follow our rules regardless if you want to post here. One of those is never discussing moderation in public. -- Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
You've been here for over 4 years. Read the forum rules. Calling out moderation isn't going to end well for you, nor is assuming that the moderation comment in your post is intended for you alone. It was obviously directed at all of the people involved in that little side argument. I suggest you take the better part of valor and delete your post content before you take a compulsory vacation.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
From our FAQ:

1) We appreciate that sometimes you will disagree with a moderator's decision, or feel that a request from a moderator is unfair or unjustified. With over 32,000 members, we're not going to be able to keep everyone happy all of the time, so we settle for trying to keep most people happy most of the time. Whether or not you agree with a moderator's stance, we do expect you to abide by their decisions and requests.

2) If you really, really disagree with a moderator's position on a [moderating] issue, please don't argue about it on the boards. That means no calling out of moderators, no challenging their decisions in the thread, and certainly no attempts to go over a moderator's head. The moderators all discuss such things amongst themselves, and no moderator or admin is ever going to override another. If you honestly feel that you have been treated unfairly, please contact the moderator in question privately and discuss it with them. The end result may not be the one you were seeking, but we will do our our best to be fair.

If you break a rule and admit to knowing it at the same time, we won't bother asking questions. Posts which include phrases like "this will probably get me warned or banned" show you're pretty much sticking your fingers up at the rules and the moderators, and will result in a banning. We probably won't even bother emailing you to let you know in these situations.

First of all, challenging a moderator publicly is not acceptable. They are human beings, just like you, trying to do the impossible. They don't get paid, and it is important that their job be as easy as possible. What this means is that you don't get to argue with a moderator publicly; by all means contact them by email if you feel it is necessary.

Secondly, there is a very low tolerance for people who try to skirt the rules or seek loopholes. This is where "Rule 0" comes in - all of the above rules are really just guidelines to help you fit in at EN World. When it comes down to it, though, what we want you to do is use common sense, and moderators have the authority to do and say whatever is necessary to keep EN World the sort of place we want it to be. Think of them like the GM in an RPG - yes, there are rules in the book, but the GM is the sole arbiter of what happens; if you don't like his GM-ing, you don't have to play in his game.​

Which is a long way of saying that calling out a moderator is never okay. I'll be removing those posts. Look for an email from me, please.

And folks, let me reiterate: While I called out PeacemakerSG in particular due to his posting style, there's plenty of snark in this thread to go around. That's not something we want, and it's not something we'll tolerate. People love D&D, and change is scary, so a new edition can cause emotions to run high. That doesn't give anyone license to then be rude to the people they're discussing the game with. It's completely fine if not everyone disagrees with you.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
I think I will buy it, at least for reading it.

All the money I saved by not buying 3.5 and 4ed means I can definitely afford to get the 5ed corebooks even if I end up not playing it.

But if it doesn't feel like D&D to me, or if otherwise looks too similar to a previous edition, or if I cannot stand the artwork style, I can easily skip this edition again.

Remove ads