D&D 5E So why are you buying 5th edition?

Andor

First Post
I have no idea if I will buy 5e.

Correction: I will almost certainly buy whatever the base set is, for the purpose of forming my own opinion.

Buy into it in a major way? No idea at all yet.

I will follow the news, contribute to the discussion where I have time and interest, hopefully participate in the open playtest. And when 5e comes out I will buy the base set, read what was printed, as opposed to planned and see if it's for me.

BECMI was, AD&D was, 2e was, 3e was, 3.5 was. 4e was not. 5e? Who the hell knows? Odd are I will like it. Buying in in the sense of building a major collection? Hell even if I think it's the RPG Messiah, if I can't find a group that wants to play it with me, there is not much point into pouring my cash into it.

Magic 8 ball says: Answer hazy, try again later.

Roland55

First Post
Slow down there, son.

Enthusiastic about <> Buying. I'll need to hear a lot more---not to mention the playtest---before I commit to a purchase.

Of course. It's the only rational position.

Meanwhile, I prefer to be positive, optimistic. Just a happier way to live.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Oh, sure. I'll buy it. Why not? I blow more money than that on coffee and miscellaneous crap every month.

Plus, if it ends up that I like it AND can get people to play it with me, I just made my day, week, month and year!

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not sure if I will. Lately, I seem to have settled into some sort of apathy rut. There were a few early articles which spiked my interest as well as a few which provoked a strong negative reaction from me. However, for a little while now, I've started to find more and more that I have a sense of apathy toward the next edition.

ferratus

Adventurer
As a member of the OSR community or whatever you want to call it, a big part of it is the experimenting and looking for new ways to do things. Some really nifty approaches to things have come from the OSR folks.

I have not had positive experiences interacting with the OSR community. Generally any criticism of some feature of the 1e system or any suggestion that 3e/4e could have something to teach or inform the 1e system is recieved very poorly, along with dismissive comments that I don't play the game right or that my manhood is lacking.

I like playing 1e or 2e, I really do. I just don't like the online fan community that system attracts.

Gronin

Explorer
Just not sure at this point -- I am leaning towards no, at least not right away. I like a fairly rules heavy game and so far it seems like i will have to wait for all of the "modules" to come out before I would be tempted.

It has always been annoying when splat books come out and someone wants to (naturally enough) play something out of it and we then try to squeeze these new rules into an already existing campaign. Maybe we should wait until a campaign restarts but we don't.

Tortoise

First Post
I have not had positive experiences interacting with the OSR community. Generally any criticism of some feature of the 1e system or any suggestion that 3e/4e could have something to teach or inform the 1e system is recieved very poorly, along with dismissive comments that I don't play the game right or that my manhood is lacking.

I like playing 1e or 2e, I really do. I just don't like the online fan community that system attracts.

That is unfortunate and while I'm not one that would say such things, let me apologize to you on behalf of the open minded OSR folks.

3e and 4e do both have some good things to offer and teach or remind us grognards about. In fact the 4e way of handling monsters really helped remind me how free I am as a DM to have monsters doing all sorts of things.

And as far as things from 1e that even most of us old-schoolers dislike, don't get us started on the weapon speed and weapon vs armor tables. Egads! Even Gygax later lamented including those.

Ramaster

Adventurer
Because 4e adressed the problems that 3e had, so that means they are learning. If 5e adresses 4e problems while minding 3e problems as well, we will get a kickass game.

Edit: minor typo

Remove ads