D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

Reynard

Legend
I voted yes, but based on the assumption that DnDB and the VTT are going to remain exclusive or have specially licensed access, thereby ensuring official D&D is still the leading D&D.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
"yes*". It wasnt that long ago that wotc was still saying that 3.5 & 4e eberron books were "compatible" because you could use there & fluff. I think ot will mostly compatible like 3/3.5/d20. Moxern/pf but I. All honesty hope that the difference is more significant.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm guessing no. I don't think that Hasbro/WotC have abandoned their (alleged) plans to try and turn D&D into their next billion-dollar franchise, and that means massive monetization. Which means that, now that they've abandoned trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube with 5E and reining in competing VTTs, they'll just make the next iteration of D&D different enough from 5E so that it's (largely) incompatible with it.

They've still got anywhere from twelve to eighteen months or so to make that happen, depending on when they plan on releasing 1D&D, which would be a rush job but not an impossible one.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
I'm guessing no. I don't think that Hasbro/WotC have abandoned their (alleged) plans to try and turn D&D into their next billion-dollar franchise, and that means massive monetization. Which means that, now that they've abandoned trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube with 5E and reining in competing VTTs, they'll just make the next iteration of D&D different enough from 5E to (try and) so that it's (largely) incompatible with it.

They've still got anywhere from twelve to eighteen months or so to make that happen, depending on when they plan on releasing 1D&D, which would be a rush job but not an impossible one.
Search: d20
Replace: 2d10
Done!

Horwath

Legend
I will say no, but it could be done with some errata guidelines rules/homebrew.

Something like 3e->3.5e

most/all feats will get revision to "half-feat" status.
some combos/spells/class feature will be retuned(twilight cleric).

1st level feats are still up for grabs, but in the end I believe that it will be any feat that you can take on 4th level, but without "ASI" that is attached to that feat. So you cannot point buy/standard array an 18 at 1st level.

but, in the end, it depends how big a change will it be.
core mechanics of 5E were too successful to be abandoned for some new edition in unknown waters.

dave2008

Legend
I expect it to be as compatible as the playtest have been or more so. The tend to walk-back stuff (often the more innovative bits) from playtest to actual release. So yes, it will be compatible IMO.

However, I think there is a greater chance that a true 6e could be coming down the line sooner than they wanted. That timeline probably depends on how well they can monetize DDB and their new VTT. If they can make good money from them without a complete revamp to 6e, they will probably go that route. I am still quite convinced they can make a lot money with 5e if the make better use of DDB and a VTT. Just be the market leader in those and they are probably good to go.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I voted no, but admittedly it is mostly wishful thinking. I have very little interest in the direction WotC has taken 5e in the last few years, and an incompatible 6e (that would certainly continue down that path) that I can ignore would suit me just fine.

OB1

Jedi Master
My initial thought when they released SRD 5.1 to CC was that 2024 would now see major changes to wall it off, but after thinking about it, I think they'll take another tactic instead. I'm betting the 5.1 SRD will be the last one released by WotC. The math of 2024 will remain the same, allowing both WotC 5e products and SRD 5.1 products to remain compatible with the new books, but everything new in 2024 will require DMs Guild or DDB VTT Marketplace to directly access the new features (similar to how you have to use DMsG if you want to make a Dragonlance or Spelljammer campaign now).

Remove ads