D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I've always assumed that it will be compatible with D&D5 the same way D&D3.5 was compatible with D&D3, or Pathfinder was compatible with D&D3.5, or a major league pitcher can play baseball with a little league team. So, both and neither.

My first reaction to them releasing the SRD 5.1 under CC-BY 4.0 was that they'd have to make oneD&D into D&D6, but the more I think about it the less that seems true. From a sales perspective, I'm sure D&D3.5 "killed" D&D3, and Pathfinder "killed" D&D3.5.

Even with competitors and clones in the marketplace, the chance that oneD&D will not still dominate the market in 2024 is virtually nil. Whether or not it is still dominating the marketplace in 2029 is a complete unknown.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
If they're trying to make it a billion-dollar franchise, how does this advantage them? If everyone who wants to keep up has to go out and re-buy everything, it will keep it as a 150 million-dollar franchise a bit longer, but do nothing to grow the brand.
After all of the hullabaloo about the OGL, I would have thought that was obvious: it lays the groundwork (i.e. new rules set) for them creating an "immersive" D&D VTT, which has monthly subscriptions and is replete with micro-transactions, which other VTTs can't offer. That's where the money is, as far as WotC/Hasbro is concerned, with the books largely being an afterthought. That's why they were trying to revoke/de-authorize the OGL v1.0a in the first place; because they wanted to eliminate direct competitors for playing D&D in the digital marketplace, squeezing out places like Foundry and Roll20 by disallowing them from hosting 5E-compatible experiences, since those would be too similar to a 5E-compatible 1D&D game.

But if they make 1D&D dissimilar enough from 5E, then presuming they can get the bulk of their current customer base to switch over (which I think is an overestimation on their part), they can still make their VTT into the one-and-only place to get "authentic" D&D VTT gameplay.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I don' t think you will be correct. But if it will turn out like this, then I would hate that they added SRD5.1 to CC. Then I think harm has been done to me and many people who were looking forward to a consolidated 5e.

But as I said: very unlikely that they just give up and sell it.
I don't really want a consolidated 5e. Putting the 5.1 into the CC essentially allows folks to cut WotC out of the equation, especially with the option of 1.0a still out there. I would be happy to see WotC spin off on its own here.

TheSword

Legend
Three weeks ago I would say yes, the hostility around 3pp lends itself to a split.

That said, since moving away from the controversy I don’t think they have anything to gain by casting 5e off at this point. I think it will be and will stay compatible for a relatively long time… however if they can find ways to differentiate they will. It just might be optional instead of part of core rules.

So far in the play test, that isn't true.

They have nerfed the biggest options, like adding concentration to spiritual weapon.

And buff the weakest ones, like two weapon fighting.

I think if they can achieve that for all classes, it would be a big argument to transition to OneD&D.
But actually they don't need us to switch.
If they opt to go the slow and steady route as with core 5e, new players will naturally just pick the new books and take the new online offers. And after a few years, 90% of the player base will play OneD&D.

Won't happen if the difference is too big, because they have to build up a whole new eco system and compete against themselves.

Remove ads