D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

Scribe

Legend
That's true to an extent, but the corporate presence of Hasbro wasn't felt as much until recent years. I mean, certainly, they probably had an influence on edition changes, from 3.5 to 4E, and then the "starting afresh" of 5E. But they seemed to let the game designers design. Meaning, they didn't "George Steinbrenner" D&D. I think that changed once D&D's popularity soared five-ish years ago.

I feel for sure the die was cast with 5e, and once it hit critical levels of success, its been coasting since.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
While I agree generally, one of those feats is: ASI (you know the +2 to one or +1 to 2 thing). You can simply say all feats must be ASI and your back to O5e, with the exception of the new background features they are calling 1st level feats (which are otherwise not feats IMO).
Sure, but making house rules in not testing backward compatibility.

This isn't saying something is good or bad, or stating our preferences. The point that we have been going back and forth on is what level of backwards compatibility will it have - math being close so you can run old and new characters/spells/aventures/monsters together, or full such that you can mix and match fully, such as a character made partially with 5e and partially OneD&D options.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
All I want is to not be shouted down when I engage with 5e discussions using 3pp, not treating WotC as the gold standard.

The thing about the 3pp is that they are, generally, small. Most folks you are talking to will not have whatever products you are speaking about.

Whether or not they are "gold", WotC products are the basic standard, the lingua franca of RPGs. If you want to speak Esperanto, you need to specifically seek out like minded individuals who know it. Everyone else will look at you funny, and go on with what they were doing.

If you have niche tastes, you won't find the mainstream to be a great discussion space.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The thing about the 3pp is that they are, generally, small. Most folks you are talking to will not have whatever products you are speaking about.

Whether or not they are "gold", WotC products are the basic standard, the lingua franca of RPGs. If you want to speak Esperanto, you need to specifically seek out like minded individuals who know it. Everyone else will look at you funny, and go on with what they were doing.

If you have niche tastes, you won't find the mainstream to be a great discussion space.
Not very encouraging, but I'm getting used to being depressed about stuff like that.

Scribe

Legend
Shouted down might be hyperbole, but there are definitely folks here who disregard non-WotC 5e.

Yeah but you cannot help that. There's always going to be some who see 3PP (or mods, in other games) as less than. I do it myself for certain games, while others I even write mods for!

That said, I doubt many look at WotC as the superior option, they just dont want to deal with the complexity or depth that is out there, probably why they go with 5e in the first place.

I would prefer it to be treated differently by the community, mostly so I stop seeing everything in 5e discussions assumed to be whatever WotC put out on the subject, as opposed to the wider 3pp universe of 5e.
Why though, why not treat 1D&D as another 3PP supplement to 5e. That is effectively what it is. So why is the “edition” significant? I mean it is changing less than A5e and that is the same edition as 5e. What is your hang up with the term “edition?” I’m just not seeing how the view intersects with your desire for 3PP inclusion .

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not very encouraging, but I'm getting used to being depressed about stuff like that.

I'm not sure how you could expect it to be otherwise. It would be like walking into a Book Club that had all been reading the Game of Thrones, and you want to talk about your favorite self-published novella by the well-known Dutch author. I mean, that novella might be fabulous, but your audience just isn't familiar with it.

Be that as it may...we are talking about a game here. A game which makes at least a passing claim at some kind of balance, and logical abstraction.

Having the same class, with the same spells, with the same subclasses, have different results based on the rule set or version being used, is a bad look.
Would it make you feel better if they renames things? If everything in 1D&D that was different from O5e had a different name would that work for you?

I honestly ask as I’m thinking about making this suggestion in the next playtest survey.

I guess I just come at it from the other direction. There is going to be consensus on the books/spells/errata, being used from day 0.
??? That is not my experience. When we play the rules evolve as we go. In every edition there are things that don’t work for us and what we add or cut evolves through play. It is most definitely not decided on day 0z

Remove ads