D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

Here is my perception.

No, they wont.

Only something that changes the math would update the 5.1 SRD.

No. But this depends on what exactly the ORC looks like.

The OGL is dead.

Hasbro-WotC will rely on the free advertising that comes from the CC-BY 4.0.

Outside of the 5e SRD, the Hasbro-WotC lawyers will viciously enforce copyright claims.

But. Hasbro-WotC will get away with this "sues regularly" approach, because they will actually support the creativity of unofficial content that comes from the gamers inside the walled garden, in the DMsGuild (or whatever its future incarnation will be called).
That is complete, and basically unfounded, speculation.

Yaarel

He Mage
That is complete, and basically unfounded, speculation.
Sorry. But the OGL 1.0a is dead.

Independent publishers who have relied on the OGL in the past do well to move on to the ORC.

While technically, companies could succumb to the temptation of publishing via the DMsGuild, Hasbro-WotC views any successful companies as "competitors" and will seek to destroy these companies at a time of their choosing.

Meanwhile, besides the minimalist approach to the CC SRD, Hasbro-WotC will never use the OGL again, not in the genuine sense of an "open license".

Sorry. But the OGL 1.0a is dead.

Independent publishers who have relied on the OGL in the past do well to move on to the ORC.

While technically, companies could succumb to the temptation of publishing via the DMsGuild, Hasbro-WotC views any successful companies as "competitors" and will seek to destroy these companies.

Meanwhile, besides the minimalist approach to the CC SRD, Hasbro-WotC will never use the OGL again, not in the genuine sense of an "open license".
OGL was one part, CC was the other part. They said before the release of CC SRD that they planned to release more editions, so who knows. I know you don’t know and neither do I, and nothing you have said has convinced me you have any greater understanding of Hasbro/WotC current plans than I do. In fact, your attitude makes me think you have even less of an understanding than I do.

Yaarel

He Mage
OGL was one part, CC was the other part. They said before the release of CC SRD that they planned to release more editions, so who knows. I know you don’t know and neither do I, and nothing you have said has convinced me you have any greater understanding of Hasbro/WotC current plans than I do. In fact, your attitude makes me think you have even less of an understanding than I do.
We know. They said it in their faqs.

They will ONLY update the CC SRD ... IF ... it is necessary to maintain "compatibility" with current Hasbro-WotC products.

But Hasbro-WotC wont donate future products to an open license.

The DMsGuild is a game changer.

People can creatively play with protected Hasbro-WotC products while inside the walled garden.

This is the future that Hasbro-WotC pursues.

The open license is over.

The overreaching OGL 1.1 tried to assassinate the OGL 1.0a.

Hasbro-WotC wants the OGL 1.0a dead.

They will never do an OGL 1.0a again.

Last edited:

We know. They said it in their faqs.

They will ONLY update the CC SRD ... IF ... it is necessary to maintain "compatibility" with current Hasbro-WotC products.

But Hasbro-WotC wont donate future products to an open license.

The DMsGuild is a game changer.

People can creatively play with protected Hasbro-WotC products while inside the walled garden.

This is the future that Hasbro-WotC pursues.

The open license is over.
Well actually that is not what they said (IIRC), but close, and they also said they would release more editions in a FAQ less than 2 weeks ago. Things change, even FAQ responses!

Also, you still have no clue what what they’re plans are.

Scribe

Legend
??? That is not my experience. When we play the rules evolve as we go. In every edition there are things that don’t work for us and what we add or cut evolves through play. It is most definitely not decided on day 0z

Of the campaign? I'm fine with the rules evolving (as long as its actually an evolution...) over the life of a product, but in mid campaign? I'm not a fan of just changing things up on a whim/errata.

Scribe

Legend
Would it make you feel better if they renames things? If everything in 1D&D that was different from O5e had a different name would that work for you?

I honestly ask as I’m thinking about making this suggestion in the next playtest survey.

Probably yeah? Or just they can drop the pretense and say 'this is the updated version'. That would be ideal in these small edge cases.

Of the campaign? I'm fine with the rules evolving (as long as its actually an evolution...) over the life of a product, but in mid campaign? I'm not a fan of just changing things up on a whim/errata.
We have only played one campaign in 5.e since switching over in 2014 (15th lvl now) and we have changed several rules as we go. That is just how we play and it works for us. We see no need to wait for another campaign that may never happen!

Remove ads