D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

mamba

Legend
I think this makes it more likely for 1DD to be compatible with 5e, not less so. If they had managed to revoke the OGL as planned, then no one could branch off 5e any more, so they were more free to make larger changes. With 5e now being under CC, the branching can happen at any time (and is happening right now with Kobold Press and Cubicle 7 working on 5e compatible games), so the incentive to not fracture the player base is stronger than before.

Before, the worst outcome would have been for people to stick with 5e for some time before joining 1DD eventually, now they might stay with 5e variants indefinitely if WotC cannot move them over to 1DD.

mamba

Legend
That really doesn't work for me. I mean it would throw the fiction off. You could have two of the same class, say clerics. Give them the same subclass. Give them the same god. And give them the same spells. And what you would have in the fiction are two clerics with different class abilities, different subclass abilities, and different spells, despite all being the same of everything.
then any change by definition introduces an incompatibility, or am I missing something ?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
then any change by definition introduces an incompatibility, or am I missing something ?
Not exactly. A true addition to the game is compatible, because it lays over the older edition. If you're changing mechanics, though, you lose compatibility. For example the change to feats since it is in direct conflict with the default of no feats for 2014. The mechanics there are changing.

mamba

Legend
They will ONLY update the CC SRD ... IF ... it is necessary to maintain "compatibility" with current Hasbro-WotC products.

But Hasbro-WotC wont donate future products to an open license.
I am not sure I follow. 'Donating the future product' is how compatibility is maintained (and it is not the entire product, much like the SRD today is only a bare-bones PHB + DMG + MM)

They don't want to call it a new edition but, compatible or not, that's what they're making as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah. They edit the book in some way. So you are correct. At that point it does not matter if we call it 5.5e or 6e. I think this number is meaningless. It is important what is inside.

mamba

Legend
Not exactly. A true addition to the game is compatible, because it lays over the older edition.
agreed, did not spell that out, since I specifically said change and do not consider an addition a change... so according to your logic you can have new feats / spells / items / ... but not change any existing ones without introducing incompatibilities then, correct ?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
agreed, did not spell that out, since I specifically said change and do not consider an addition a change... so according to your logic you can have new feats / spells / items / ... but not change any existing ones without introducing incompatibilities then, correct ?
Sort of. We've been told that we can play the 2014 PCs along side the 2024 characters. The rules for 2014 characters can't change for that to be true. That means that there will be conflicts between the rules for 2014 characters and the ones for 2024 characters. They won't be compatible. For the other rules, you can replace them with new rules and if they work seamlessly then compatibility is preserved.

The problem is their promise of backwards compatibility with characters. It inherently creates incompatibility. If they just updated the edition to 5.5 and went on with things... No 2014 and 2024 clerics in the same group. Just 2024 clerics.

Hussar

Legend
Except the forum isn't called, "WotC 5e, pretty much".
Looks up at the title of the forum that this post is is that says "One D&D (5.5E) & OGL v1.1" which is exactly "WotC 5e, pretty much."

And, by, "not to be personal" I meant as an apology for being personal. The point is, if you are unrelentingly negative about something, over and over and over again, repeating yourself in thread after thread how you don't like the current direction of WotC and how it's no really 5e anymore, then, yeah, you're really should expect push back.

Why on earth would you come to a forum labeled 5e D&D and expect conversation NOT to be focused on WotC D&D?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Looks up at the title of the forum that this post is is that says "One D&D (5.5E) & OGL v1.1" which is exactly "WotC 5e, pretty much."

And, by, "not to be personal" I meant as an apology for being personal. The point is, if you are unrelentingly negative about something, over and over and over again, repeating yourself in thread after thread how you don't like the current direction of WotC and how it's no really 5e anymore, then, yeah, you're really should expect push back.

Why on earth would you come to a forum labeled 5e D&D and expect conversation NOT to be focused on WotC D&D?
Because there's a lot of other 5e out there, and WotC is demonstrably not the most quality stuff. Given the recent crisis, I would think that now is the best opportunity to give 3pps the attention they deserve.

Remove ads