So you want to be an ENnies judge...

Skeld

First Post
So, where do the various aspirants stand on the podcasts and blogs being given equal (or greater) consideration with settings and rules?

Last year (2010) and going forward, I stand behind podcasts and blogs each having their own separate categories (Best Blog and Best Podcast).

I think there are enough differences between the two types of media to warrant each having its own category. However, there's a critical part that people often overlook: if you make them different categories, you need enough entries to get submitted to not only fill those categories, but to create a list of viable choices (for example, if a category is expected to have 5 nominations, it doesn't make sense or it to have only 6 entries).

So, that said, if there are enough entries that are blogs and enough that are podcasts, I think they should be given their own categories.

I hope that answers your question.

-Mark

Skeld

First Post
For the current judges: What was the single best submitted item in your opinion?

I don't think we can answer that until after the awards are over. Since nominations haven't even been announced yet, any answer (other than "no comment") would be met with undue speculation and might be a violation of the NDA.

-Mark

EDIT: Since it would be hard for me to pick just one, I'll probably need at leas that long to chew on it. ;) Maybe I can narrow it down to a handful.

Crothian

First Post
We have a list of what has been submitted so you won't be revealing titles we don't know abouyt. And just becasue one judge liked a book has no bearing on if it got nominated, it takes many judges to get a book nomninated.

C.W.Richeson

Explorer
So, where do the various aspirants stand on the podcasts and blogs being given equal (or greater) consideration with settings and rules?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Could you restate it?

All entrees deserve the appropriate amount of time needed to appreciate them, whether that's a play session at the table, a careful listening at my desk, or a critical read for as long as necessary.

Skeld

First Post
We have a list of what has been submitted so you won't be revealing titles we don't know abouyt.

Yes, the list of submissions is public knowledge. There wouldn't be any surprises there.

And just becasue one judge liked a book has no bearing on if it got nominated, it takes many judges to get a book nomninated.

Or it might have a bearing what got nominated if my favorite product(s) happened to be other judges' favorites also. That's just the kind of conjecture I'd just as soon avoid until after the 2010 awards are history.

-Mark

Crothian

First Post
Or it might have a bearing what got nominated if my favorite product(s) happened to be other judges' favorites also. That's just the kind of conjecture I'd just as soon avoid until after the 2010 awards are history.

-Mark

Judges did reviews, I'm sure many of you posted on message boards and blogs about games you like and don't like. Information is out there people can make conjecture from already. Also, what is wrong with conjecture? It means people are talking about the ENnies and interested in them.

madwabbit

First Post
Judges did reviews, I'm sure many of you posted on message boards and blogs about games you like and don't like. Information is out there people can make conjecture from already. Also, what is wrong with conjecture? It means people are talking about the ENnies and interested in them.
And one could also argue that to avoid the appearance of impropriety, no matter how slight, it won't kill you to wait two more days before they answer this question. ;)

reveal

Adventurer
And one could also argue that to avoid the appearance of impropriety, no matter how slight, it won't kill you to wait two more days before they answer this question. ;)
This is my take on it as well. After the nominations are announced this Friday, the judges are free to discuss which products they liked best. As of right now though, they should not do it. If they start mentioning which product they liked best and a discussion about it follows, positive or negative, someone may believe the nominations were changed because of it.

It's paranoid, yes, but it's what's best for the ENnies. :)

Crothian

First Post

My point is they've already said opinions on books in blogs and reviews so any appearance of impropriety has already been done.

Remove ads