• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sold through already

Agamon

Adventurer
DMReckless said:
So, here's to you, 4th Edition. May your sales be HUGE, may you attract new customers, and may both old and new customers gain years and years of enjoyment out of playing you. Congratulations on the sell-through of the first run, WOTC.

Sir, your well thought out, rational, selfless responses have no place here. This is the interwebs, after all.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
DMReckless said:
So, here's to you, 4th Edition. May your sales be HUGE, may you attract new customers, (. . .)

Hear, hear! New customers, new gamers. Good times!

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Mokona said:
So Wizards should have no fear that they're giving competitors useful information except to see Paizo-Green Ronin weep in envy.

I agree that WotC could give a rough ballpark number, that would be interesting.

At the same time, I think that if any third parties know how much D&D sells, Paizo and Green Ronin are right at the top of that list, what with lots of the people assiociated with both companies having worked at or closely with WotC during 3rd edition.

So they might already be weeping ... :) Nah, I think they are using that knowledge as input into their business plans instead.

/M

Agamon

Adventurer
Maggan said:
So they might already be weeping ... :) Nah, I think they are using that knowledge as input into their business plans instead.

Yeah, sorta like when EA changed their minds when they kinda ignored the Wii at launch...

Mokona

First Post
I'd love to compare Paizo and Green Ronin. Has any one of their books sold even 100,000 units (not counting adding 1st and 2nd edition of Mutants & Masterminds together)?

During the majority of time since 3rd edition, Wizards of the Coast launched two or sometimes even three roleplaying game books every single month.

Mokona said:
I'd love to compare Paizo and Green Ronin. Has any one of their books sold even 100,000 units (not counting adding 1st and 2nd edition of Mutants & Masterminds together)?

During the majority of time since 3rd edition, Wizards of the Coast launched two or sometimes even three roleplaying game books every single month.
These numbers don't really matter. The question is if Paizo und Green Ronin are successful and make enough money to survive and manage to keep their designers and authors happy. If they stay in business, they are doing good.

If we only compared by size to define success or "worth", there might be only Cola, McDonalds and Volkswagen (mere guesses)...

Arnwyn

First Post
Agamon said:
Yeah, sorta like when EA changed their minds when they kinda ignored the Wii at launch...
Aside: Which turned out to be the right decision in the end, thanks to the Wii's horrendously bad attach rates. Turns out a large number of consumers simply bought the Wii, played Wii Sports... and that's it.

In any case, Mustrum_Ridcully has the right of it.

Of Orders and Ship Dates

Well my ship date on my Amazon order has changed to August/September so I am assuming that I didn't get my pre-order in soon enough to get in on the first printing. BAH!
BAH! I say! :D

Well I don't think I would have been playing anytime soon so I guess it is no real great loss other than the fact that I really wanted to have them in hand and start reading.

-Brund the Pre-Orderer

Zurai

First Post
Arnwyn said:
Aside: Which turned out to be the right decision in the end, thanks to the Wii's horrendously bad attach rates. Turns out a large number of consumers simply bought the Wii, played Wii Sports... and that's it.
Attach rate isn't so important when the Wii has outsold the 360, PS3, and PS2 combined every month since its release. The Wii is the undisputed king of this console generation and any company that ignores it is shooting themselves in the foot ... with an uzi.[sblock=NPD numbers for April 2008]Consoles sold in April:
Wii: 714,200
Xbox 360: 188,000
PS3: 187,100
PS2: 124,400
[/sblock]

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Mokona said:
That is a silly statistic. To quote Mark Twain: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

The Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition Player's Handbook sold double what the v.3.5 edition of the same book sold.

4th edition is a great success story...but print runs at Wizards of the Coast tell you nothing.
Actually, the quote originally comes from Benjamin Disraeli.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads