• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Soldier of the Faith overpowered?

Branduil

Hero
As far as I can tell, Soldier of the Faith does not have the same restriction on it that other multiclass feats have. If you challenge one enemy, as long as you maintain that challenge it lasts until then end of the encounter. This seems overpowered compared to the other feats which grant you class abilities for only one round or once per day.

theNater

First Post
It's an at-will effect converted to per-encounter, which is pretty standard among the multiclass feats.

Of course, it does have a longer duration than other at-will effects. That might be why Soldier of the Faith has the most restrictive ability score requirements.

ac_noj

First Post
It's in the power:

"Also, it takes radiant damage equal to 3 + your Charisma
modifier the first time it makes an attack that doesn’t include
you as a target before the start of your next turn."

Branduil

Hero
You have to read the whole clause. It's not "first time...period." It's "first time...BEFORE," the before referring to the start of your next turn. This applies to every turn where the Divine Challenge is still active.

ac_noj

First Post
I read it as meaning you only get the damage once and only if it triggers before the start of your next turn. So the Paladin keeps refreshing it and engaging the target to maintain that extra damage.
It's seems like a cop-out if you can just engage once then hide around a corner.

I'll see if I can find something in the Q&A that supports either position.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads