D&D 5E Somatic and Verbal - Value Added?

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
I don't really find any of those reasons to be very compelling enough for a table not to use a simplified system for spellcasting components like what mrpopstar has written up.
'You must use verbal components or play an instrument to cast a bard spell' completely solves the bard's shield juggling, as well.

It simplifies a lot!

Hopsong

Villager
No. At a recent AL event a new DM questioned whether the spell caster had a certain component. "Of course! It's in my component pouch!" We picked the game back up again. Clearly the 5E designers put some work went into this *flavoring* but I miss the italicized spell descriptions in 4E that, for me, were more *tasty*.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
An Eldritch Knight would still be stuck with shield juggling though, wouldn't he?
Why's that?

We could just as easily say something along the lines of: You must use verbal components and wield a weapon to cast your wizard spells.

--

Note, I would prefer the eldritch knight not to have to wield a shield, so I don't view the juggling as a problem. I'm just making an example.

Last edited:

For example if one wants to reduce resurrection type magic, availability of diamonds can be used, otherwise it can be handwaved as GP=GP of diamonds.

In fact, you can use spells or magic items which can cover gold to/from gems as both the implementation of the component handwave AND a way to rationalize a fantasy economy AND a mystery/part of a secret plan by giant blue giants to spur adventure and/or player paranoia.

The Tome of Magic in 2nd Edition had a first level spell for component conjuration, which is where I stole this idea from originally.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Mercule

Adventurer
Are components worth the complexity? Yes, for a variety of reasons that have been pointed out. My personal favorites: 1) you can bind and gag the caster prisoner and 2) you can't just "sneak off" that meteor swarm.

Are separate, specifics V, S, M components worth the complexity? Meh, occasionally. I like that the wizard still has a couple of tricks if he's only bound, but not gagged. Over all, though? Not really. In 95%+ cases, there's no functional difference between "they can hear you cast" and "they can see you cast". Honestly, other than the power word spells, you're probably better off binding and blind-folding the caster than binding and gagging him. Almost all destructive spells need line of sight, IIRC.

The biggest rub I have with VSM is that I finally realized that what I used psionics for in prior editions would be better represented by a sorcerer sub-class that used different trappings than the new mystic class from UA (the mystic is a fine class, just a bit different). Going back to my first paragraph, how does one keep the same checks on a psi-sorcerer without using VSM? Ditto for "spell-like" abilities.

Remove ads