Some Gothic Trinkets from CURSE OF STRAHD

Curse of Strahd contains a random d100 table of various gothic trinkets. Take a quick look at the first few items on that table! Locks which open when blood is dripped on them, the wig of someone beheaded, invisible ink that can only be read at sunset, and more. Curse of Strahd comes out on Friday in preferred stores, or 11 days later on March 15th everywhere else.

Ccj7424W8AEMeKC.jpg

SaveSave

Duan'duliir

Devil of Chance
Yes, I understand, if I DM this adventure I will be able to tell to the player whatever I choose, but I will never be that player so I am asking to the DMs around here to tell me what would my letter say if I was a player at their games.

Ah, sorry. The question was worded in such a fashion that I though my answer had been appropriate. As for what it contains, how about:

[SBLOCK="Your father's letter"]Dear psiconauta_retro,

I hope that you are well as you read this, for I have little time to write this letter, and I have much to tell you. You are not actually my child - or your mother's. You are adopted; an old wizard turned up at our home <insert your age here> years ago, with you in his arms. He insisted that we raise you "outside his domain", whoever he is, because you are "destined to overthrow him and take his throne". he said that your powers would manifest once you entered his castle, as all residents of his domain do, and that he would kill you. He wouldn't go into detail on your powers, so be careful my child.

Yours Truly,
psiconauta_retro Sr

P.S. Do you remember Old Jerald? If you meet him at the old well in town a month after you read this letter, he will tell you more (He will know you read this letter because of some magic, apparently)[/SBLOCK]

The best trinket for a Ravenloft game that doesn't start on Ravenloft is actually not on this table. It's in the PHB.

10: The deed for a parcel of land in a realm unknown to you.

"Has anyone even heard of a place called Barovia?"

Ramaster

Adventurer
My dear Son,

I hope this letter finds you well.

You may not know this, but our familly is the rightful heir to the throne of Waterdeep. My parents were very wealthy merchant s before they were poisoned to death by their business associates on one of their outings to discus on a business deal. Before the death of my father las year in a temple, he secretly called me on his bedside and told me that he has a sum of 12.500.000 GP (Twelve Million, five hundred thousand Gold Coins) left in a suspense account in a local Bank here in Waterdeep.

He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth and some huge amount of money his business associates supposed to balance his from the deal they had that he was poisoned by his business associates. He asked of me to seek my rightful heir so that he may benefit from my wealth. In order to do this, you must provide the number of the bank account to be recipient of the transfer.

In order autenticate the transfer, send that information along with 1.000 GP to my lawyer. You will find his information attached below.

May you live a long and fruitful life,

Your father.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The important part of your letter says "Don't believe all Vistani fortune-tellers"
It also reminds you of the Bard-ess named Cher, whose fortune said "The man you love is secretly true to somebody who is very close to you".

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Given that this is a trinket you've presumably had for some time, I think the point of the unopened letter is to concoct an interesting RP reason why you've chosen to keep it but not open it. Not that you'd want to open it the moment the curtain rises on the very first scene of the campaign. But maybe that's just me... <shrug>

Toriel

Explorer
Dear son,

I don't have much time, the thing in my brain won't let me do this for long...

Please be careful of wiowuweurk sksjseiuffjs people with black hair and green eyes. They have most likely been replaced or possessed by a ring around the posies sklsewoiiuekljf.

Sklseisouekjdf slskjsdfne wowisuelkdfmfelsskj.

Please be careful and leave slskneiouedf as soon as you can. They are after you.

Sskldjeiutew qqoiue rslspofk, skseeiufkj sklsejawpowowierlkfsmwqqoierlfkfmc.

Plskjdieudkfnfwss

casterblaster

First Post
Dear son,

I write to you to inform that you should pay no heed to the other letters you received by Toriel, Ramaster, and userZynx_name. They are not your father. The truth is...well, no one knows who your father is. Before your mother died she requested of some friends to send you a letter saying it was from your father. These fellows are swindlers, skimps, skanks, and carpet baggers. If you wish to find the truth of your fathers identity please send 24,000.00 gold pieces to the address below. However please do not travel to this address for I will be gone and will never return. I hope this letter of reassurance finds you well.

Your loving Father
Dictated but not read.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases