Some Stats from the Wired Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They have mentioned that the number of employees eligible for unionization are about 50, which excludes anyone in a manager role.

It excludes people with hiring and firing authority - not all people with manager titles have such power. Those that don't are eligible to join the union.

I guess I knew that game designer was like oil-painting artist of band musician -- a few big names and a lot of people living with scut wages for the love of the thing -- but I wasn't quite expecting it to be quite that low (at what I assume is in the 'second only to WotC' tier of gaming companies in terms of revenue).
  • WotC did not share demographics or split between D&D/MtG
Do they have any other products beyond those two (and associated media/computer games, etc.)? Any other info we might have to draw any conclusions?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Do they have any other products beyond those two (and associated media/computer games, etc.)? Any other info we might have to draw any conclusions?
I'm not sure if they've put out any products yet (though technically, they're responsible for Minsc and Boo's Journal of Villainy), but Archetype Entertainment is a subsidiary of WotC designed specifically to "help build up Wizards' IP profile beyond Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering" and is currently designing a scifi RPG (presumably a video game, based on the nature of the studio).

Staffan

Legend
It excludes people with hiring and firing authority - not all people with manager titles have such power. Those that don't are eligible to join the union.
I seem to recall that it also excludes some people in positions of confidence even if they don't have direct hiring/firing authority. But that's beside the point I was making, which is that 50ish is a lower bound on the number of employees Paizo has.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

The Wizards site notes three brands - D&D, M:tG, and the "Duel Masters" trading card game.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
You apply for a job, go to an interview, take said job at an agreed salary then turn around and complain your under-paid? If you feel you're underappreciated and not receiving pay raises or other perks...QUIT.
Or... ask for better compensation, and use whatever leverage you have to get it-- just like employers do. It's a two-way street, after all.
Why this bizarre insistence by some to give up so easily in pursuit of one's own well-being?

R_J_K75

Legend
Or... ask for better compensation, and use whatever leverage you have to get it-- just like employers do. It's a two-way street, after all.
Why this bizarre insistence by some to give up so easily in pursuit of one's own well-being?
Because honestly if you're not receiving regular compensation increases it usually means you company doesn't value you enough to do so.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You apply for a job, go to an interview, take said job at an agreed salary then turn around and complain your under-paid? If you feel you're underappreciated and not receiving pay raises or other perks...QUIT.
Or negotiate for better pay and conditions.

What an odd thing to say. Like the world is binary and nothing can ever be changed. Which is patently and obviously not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads