D&D 5E some tweets

famousringo

First Post
@QueerSeer Does casting a bonus action spell prevent reaction spells just on the player's own turn, or for the rest of the round?
@JeremyECrawford Casting a bonus action spell limits your spellcasting options on your turn—no effect on an off-turn reaction.

That's a handy trick. Misty Step away from an enemy, then ready a nasty spell like Disintegrate the next time it attacks. It rules out other handy reactions like Shield or Counterspell, but lets you step up beyond mere cantrips if you really want to pour it onto an enemy.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
That's a handy trick. Misty Step away from an enemy, then ready a nasty spell like Disintegrate the next time it attacks. It rules out other handy reactions like Shield or Counterspell, but lets you step up beyond mere cantrips if you really want to pour it onto an enemy.
I don't think that works like you are thinking. When you ready a spell you cast it on your turn and concentrate on it, even if it isn't a concentration spell, until your reaction is triggered - so I think it is still under the limitation of only being able to cast a cantrip in the same turn as you cast a bonus action spell.

famousringo

First Post
I don't think that works like you are thinking. When you ready a spell you cast it on your turn and concentrate on it, even if it isn't a concentration spell, until your reaction is triggered - so I think it is still under the limitation of only being able to cast a cantrip in the same turn as you cast a bonus action spell.

Darn, I think you're right. And even worse, it wrecks any concentration effects you might have going.

Diamabel

First Post
[MENTION=1424]Max[/MENTION]_H_Petersen Can you take a unconscious target with you using dimension door?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Only a willing creature can travel with you via dimension door. You can't give consent when you're unconscious. #DnD
[MENTION=29251]Exe[/MENTION]ntrik137 Seems odd, what's the difference between an unconscious creature and an object? Just need to be small enough to be carried?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Think of it this way: a spell that requires a willing target is partially fueled by that person's will. #DnD

Kill unconscious being-->take through Dimension Door-->revivify >.<

spectacle

First Post
That ruling seems weird to me. I always figured that "willing creature" meant "not resisting", and since unconscious characters can't resist they have no choice but to be "willing". These spells require willing targets because they are so trivial to resist that there's no need for a saving throw.

"Unconscious creatures can't consent" sounds like something out of a rape prevention campaign rather than magic, makes it seem like there is some magic gatekeeper who checks that everyone has filled out their permissions forms before he lets the spell take effect.

feartheminotaur

First Post
It depends on the spell that has 'willing' in the text for me: invisibility or barkskin? Sure knock someone out, turn them invisible, give them a buff, it's just a surface illusion or change. Like drawing on a passed out dorm mate. But dimension door? Astral projection or dream? A little different. I can see that the target needs to be aware in order to guide their mind through whatever nether space teleportation crosses, or project their mental image into the Astral Plane or someone's dreams. And if the creature is aware, it can fight it.

So, while I understand that lots of folks must have concrete rulings made by someone else (oh, how did we ever DM in the past without the instant appeal to authority?), some of the JC tweets are too much of a blanket statement for me. And I imagine composing his thoughts into a ruling no longer than 140 characters doesn't leave much room for anything other than a blanket statement.

Last edited:

[MENTION=73944]zar[/MENTION]conistPreist If an Unseen Servant is told to hold onto something that moves around suddenly, would the US move with it?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Up to the DM. As DM, I would consider how forceful the movement is and what command was given to the servant.
[MENTION=23721]Lex[/MENTION]ar131 Does a Paladin with Aura of devotion entering the space of an already charmed ally ends the charm effect?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Aura of Devotion: RAW is unclear. RAI is that being charmed is precluded/suspended while you're in the aura.

@NYPostironic If I cast web, do those inside make a save immediately, or at the beginning of their next turn?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford If web is cast on your space, you make a saving throw at the start of your next turn.
[MENTION=83666]Go[/MENTION]kki77 Does Warlocks Fey Presence give adv. on savingthrow during combat like charm spells does?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford No.

@yesirote does a paladin's mount count as intelligent for the purpose of mounted combat?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Find Steed summons a mount that is under the paladin's control, regardless of the mount's Intelligence.
@yesirote does that mean it doesn't get to attack?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Correct. It follows the rules for a controlled mount.

[MENTION=13101]Mountain[/MENTION]lion81 Does a Spiritual Weapon attack get Adv, DisAdv, or n/a to hit rolls if the caster is over 5ft away from a prone target?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Yes. The spellcaster is the attacker with spiritual weapon—the one doing the targeting.

@MTGXerxes Paladin lvl6 Aura of Protection... Do they get their Charisma + Prof. + Aura? Therefore getting their own Charisma twice?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Yes.

@MTGXerxes Weapons with reach... can they stretch two diagonal squares to make an attack? Or one diagonal and one straight?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The DM chooses how diagonals work on a grid (see "Optional Rule: Diagonals" in the DMG, p. 252).
[MENTION=23721]Lex[/MENTION]ar131 When two effects have the same trigger option like in the start of your turn
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford As DM, I let the person whose turn it is decide the order of things that happen simultaneously.
[MENTION=6680298]JohnI[/MENTION]rico what happens if something heavy falls on a creature who's falling under the effect of "Feather Fall"?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford As DM, I'd have the thing bonk the faller—maybe even cause damage—but not affect the spell.

@RChiesa07 Do A rogue add your bonus proficiency to Initiative?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford No.

@theCommanderDJ Does stabilising a creature while within 5ft of an enemy provoke an Attack of Opportunity?
@JeremyECrawford The only thing that provokes an opportunity attack is leaving a foe's reach, unless a feature says otherwise.

@MFBurritt mechanically, would "full" orc PCs be a subrace of half-orc (i.e. mostly the same but w/aggressive)? sorry if redundant
@JeremyECrawford Orc would be its own thing, just as elf isn't a subrace of half-elf.

@Josh_watson If a mount uses the Dodge action in combat, does the rider also gain the benefits of the Dodge action?
@JeremyECrawford A mount dodging doesn't mean the rider is dodging.

@MrMattFree Does light from a magic weapon’s characteristics (not via a spell) count as magical that can illuminate a Darkness spell?
@JeremyECrawford Darkness cares only about light created by a spell.

@SalmonSquire Do you first think of a character you want to play or a mechanic you want to use when rolling up a new character?
@JeremyECrawford I think of a character concept—personality, look, status in the world, beliefs—then use the #DnD rules to create it.

@Lorindil I It came up in recent game, so, does spiritual weapon actually occupy a space? Player argues what it does.
@JeremyECrawford Spiritual weapon—the spectral weapon created by the spell doesn't occupy its space the way a creature would.

‏@TheAdjunctDM does Feral instinct mean that barbarians are never suprised if they enter rage?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Yes.
[MENTION=5439]Gareth[/MENTION]101 Actor+Mask of Many Faces: different checks. Together, choose best and if DC, adv? If skill, already adv, disadv on checker?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford The Actor feat has no effect on the check an observer makes when inspecting the illusion of disguise self.

@JaapBbosch MM say vampire takes dmg when ending turn in running water. Is this only from natural running water, or any water that move
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford A body of running water from any source can harm a vampire.
[MENTION=39199]thomas[/MENTION]_conners If you ready the Dash Action, can you then move up to twice you speed in reaction to the trigger?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Dash gives you extra movement. Off your turn, you have no movement. E.g., 0 ft. + 30 ft. = 30 ft., not 60 ft
[MENTION=73944]zar[/MENTION]conistPreist True polymorph rock into baby dragon. Wait till permanant. 9th level Dispel magic on baby dragon. What happens?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford True polymorph: recent printings of the PH clarify that "permanent" means the effect lasts until dispelled
[MENTION=6722967]DaddyDM[/MENTION] Does a warlock w/Agonizing blast only gets to add his Charisma mod once no matter how many "blasts" they have?
[MENTION=4036]Jeremy[/MENTION]ECrawford Agonizing Blast benefits every hit of eldritch blast.

Remove ads