Somebody's monkness is drowning my rogueness...

That One Guy

First Post
A song's stuck in my head. Anyway, I figured I'd take a crack at converting the rogue to a ki-based striker.

Unless ki works totally weirdly, like a ninja in 3.x, here we go...

The Rogue to Monk conversion.
Step 1, assume that all references to Martial are in fact references to Ki.
Improvised Weapon Talent; Improvised Weapons are considered a damage die larger. Also, you are considered Proficient 3 in improvised weapons. Quarterstaffs count as improvised weapons.
(If you would like, you could refer to Sneak Attack as Focused Flurry)
Instead of +1 Reflex, +1 to all defenses.
Pick one of the following...
Wise Evasion; You gain a bonus to AC equal to your wisdom modifier against opportunity attacks.
Flurry Master; You may add your strength modifier to Focused Flurries.

Anything that would use Charisma Modifier, instead use Wisdom Modifier
Any feats that can be applied to a Light Blade, you may instead apply to Improvised Melee Weapons
Two-Weapon Feats may be applied to improvised weapons, and for the purpose of cross-class powers, one is considered using two improvised weapons when using any improvised weapon
Every power that needs a crossbow, replace with Improvised ranged weapon, and every power that requires light blade, replace with improvised melee weapon. Thus,
Deft Strike normally requires: …must be wielding a crossbow, light blade, or sling. Now, it would be… must be wielding a improvised ranged weapon, improvised melee weapon, or sling.
Also, add something about adding Wisdom Modifier (Or one half if you think that’s too powerful) to amount healed by Healing Surges and that should pretty much do it.
Powers? Well… that’s really all fluff…
Piercing Strike becomes Seeking Palm… or something. Riposte Strike becomes Striking Counter. Dazing Strike becomes Stunning Fist. Trick Strike becomes Irresistible Force. Great Leap becomes Leap of the Monkey (Cloud Jump becomes Leap of the Clouds). Master of Deceit becomes Education of the World. Topple Over becomes Trip Kick. Ignoble Escape becomes Well-Timed Retreat. Etc.
Paragon Paths? Same thing, really…
Cat Burglar is easily made into a Aesthetic Spy. Daggermaster could be Staffmaster (obviously the mechanics would be reworked for quarterstaff instead of dagger and Deep Dagger Wound would be Limb Pulverizing Strike or something). Master Infiltrator can also easily become a Stealth Ninja. Shadow Assassin I think should remain Shadow Assassin.
Backstabber becomes Pressure Points (or something like that…), Surprise Knockdown becomes Crescent Moon Trip.
Sneak of Shadows becomes Apprentice of Ki, and gives Stealth instead of Thievery.

These are not clear-cut hard and fast rules, but I think they should convert the flavour of the monk to 4e well enough for a player who really really REALLY has to play a monk. No, I haven't tested it out, yet, and it is entirely off the cuff.

Remove ads