Something about KotS I adored (Spoilers)

Rechan

Adventurer
Well, I finally sat down to read KotS because I quit an online game of it out of frustration.

While reading through the final encounters, something really struck me: it's the little things that really make it feel, well, fantastical.

The Sarcophagi defeated by just kneeling at an altar. The magic circle that keeps the zombies animate. The Portal hazard. The statues that grant range to undead.

I just didn't see many 3e modules that had things with little circumstancial bonuses, but were for the most part, just "Magic". When they say "Exception-based", they don't just mean the monsters, they mean everything.

A few things that do make me scratch my head are the traps. For instance, I thought traps had initiative and such; the pit traps in various areas are just 'walk on, fall in'. Also, the whirlpool trap has no initiative or attack roll or, well, anything.

Zelgadas

First Post
I agree wholeheartedly. As for the traps, I would think that a trap or hazard only has an initiative score if it actually makes an attack. A pit trap is just a hole in the ground, so it doesn't really make sense for it to have an initiative score or an attack bonus. If you walk on it, you fall in. As far as the whirlpool trap goes, it does have an initiative bonus: +2. It's a really nasty one though in that its attack is basically an auto-hit, so people will want to disable that trap as soon as possible. It's hard to dodge a whirlpool that you're caught in the middle of.

Stomphoof

First Post
I think the idea is to avoid combat with Sir Keegan...

I hope thats what my party does. If they play their alignment and concepts that they made they SHOULD avoid the fight and get the sword.

mmadsen

First Post
Rechan said:
While reading through the final encounters, something really struck me: it's the little things that really make it feel, well, fantastical.
That seems very old school -- in a good way.

Rechan

Adventurer
Stomphoof said:
I think the idea is to avoid combat with Sir Keegan...
Well yes, I understand that. Just saying that if you do fight him, his design is just... boring.

Compare Reegan to the Blue Slime, which is just one level lower. It looks more intriguing as a solo battle.

Nail

First Post
BTW, does anyone have a good picture of the ole Knight? I'd like it for a monster counter. (I already have Paizo's excellent attempt. I'd like something else.)

Vaeron

Explorer
The pit trap, which appears in the DMG, should have an attack of +4 v Reflex. That wasn't mentioned in KotS, and had me scratching my head as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases