Song of ICe & Fire RPG?

Razuur

First Post
And then there was making Dany a sorcerer, if I remember correctly.

And don't get em started on Rangers and Magick.

I did like the little Night watch Prestige class. And the map. yup, that was about it.

They made it D&D, which was a crime.

I would rather have had the rules bend to fit the setting, not vice versa.

I can't wait for GoO's take on it!

Razuur

Last edited:

Brudewollen

First Post
Agreed

Like pretty much everyone else I agree, the Dragon article was a huge disappointment and part of the reason I stopped reading the magazine. I was already on the fence, I thought it was going downhill for quite some time, but that pretty much sealed it and I didn't renew my subscription.

The NPCs from the book were terrible conversions, they made no sense at all. My biggest problem though was how they treated magic. I was hoping for a fairly indepth article or section of how to deal with A) the very small level of magic in Westeros and B) the slowly increasing power of magic in the world as the story progresses. Instead we got a tiny sidebar that gave three very simplistic options. If memory serves the first was not to allow magic in the game at all except to NPCs, thus every PC has to be a class with no magic or you remove casting abilities from Rangers and such. The second I think suggesed some maximum levels of magic, like 3rd or 5th casting levels, the problem is that this is still way more powerful (or at least fantastical) then in the novels. The third option was the worst of all, "just play D&D rules, but set it in Westeros" or some such nonsense. Totally misses the point of adventuring in that setting.

Last edited:

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
I was disappointed when I missed the Dragon issue, but not so much after I heard about the treatment.

A GURPS sourcebook would be ideal, IMO. The low magic, easy-to-come-by deaths are perfect for GURPS. I do like GoO, but I haven't liked how they've done media translations for the various anime titles - lotsa color and pics, but thin on the actual info considering the price. There's a wealth of material in the Martin books, so hopefully they will turn out a meaty product for his series, book by book. I also hope that they have a really good, realistic-styled group of artists for the book. It needs to have that detailed, gritty feel to it.

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Eosin the Red said:
Hey Wil,

Glad to see you worked on F&I, I expect good things from you! And I know you can do dark, all hope is lost stuff now.

Yea, everttime I see Wil's name, I start thinking dark thoughts.....

Then I go play Midnight! ;)

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Brudewollen said:
Like pretty much everyone else I agree, the Dragon article was a huge disappointment and part of the reason I stopped reading the magazine. I was already on the fence, I thought it was going downhill for quite some time, but that pretty much sealed it and I didn't renew my subscription.

Silly Brudewollen! I stopped subscribing to Dragon in December. :) It wasn't worth reading then. :)

The NPCs from the book were terrible conversions, they made no sense at all. My biggest problem though was how they treated magic. I was hoping for a fairly indepth article or section of how to deal with A) the very small level of magic in Westeros and B) the slowly increasing power of magic in the world as the story progresses. Instead we got a tiny sidebar that gave three very simplistic options. If memory serves the first was not to allow magic in the game at all except to NPCs, thus every PC has to be a class with no magic or you remove casting abilities from Rangers and such. The second I think suggesed some maximum levels of magic, like 3rd or 5th casting levels, the problem is that this is still way more powerful (or at least fantastical) then in the novels. The third option was the worst of all, "just play D&D rules, but set it in Westeros" or some such nonsense. Totally misses the point of adventuring in that setting.

I just bought this from a retail store, being that I'm a big GRRM fan and at the very least I'd read the interview. Most of the game conversion stuff was, shall we say charitably, a liberal interpretation of the novels and how they might be converted to D20. I was very disappointed and baffled at some choices.

However, it wasn't entirely bad and with a bit of rationalization the characters can work. Dany's spell choices are bizarre, but consider that she always has a dragon nearby. Each of her spells can be construed as the result of a dragon's senses or effects... OK, well most of 'em. If you had to use that version of F&I, it's not impossible.

Of course it's not recommended, either. :) Bran-as-druid makes no sense at all, but there was only the one prestige class and cool effects like Bran's can't be simulated using D&D as published.

One of the other options was appealing: each character has 25% of the gear "normal" for a character of that level. It still doesn't work well without a wholesale revision of the D&D system, but the RP sections of the section weren't total poop.

Now, the rest of the magazine is just as bad as it was... though Johnn Four's articles are always entertaining (which is why I subscribe to his newsletter).

Here's to hoping GoO can publish this on time. I'm still waiting for D20 Mecha...

- Ketjak

Wraith Form

Explorer
Ashrem Bayle said:
Yea, everttime I see Wil's name, I start thinking dark thoughts.....

Then I go play Midnight! ;)
That's funny, every time *I* see Wil's name I start thinking dark thoughts....then I go in the bathroom and...

...Uh, never mind.

Luv ya, Wil! *smootchies*

Theron

Explorer
I would hasten to point out that the article had nothing to do with what Guardians of Order is doing other than sharing subject matter. I suspect GOOs take will be much more in keeping with the style of the books if their previous takes on licensed products is any indication.

Remove ads