Song of the Blade [Iron Heroes]

The Madhatter

First Post
Has anyone read or played Song of the Blade by Goodman games? It's a module that takes characters from first to fourth. It's pretty big (64 pp) and the premise is promising. There isn't a review for it yet, so any feedback anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

micromaximum

First Post
You can download a six page preview from DTRPG that includes a summary of the entire adventure and a table that lists all of the encounters in the adventure. I thought the summary was interesting and I liked being able to see what encounters I can expect in the adventure.

The Madhatter

First Post
micromaximum said:
You can download a six page preview from DTRPG that includes a summary of the entire adventure and a table that lists all of the encounters in the adventure. I thought the summary was interesting and I liked being able to see what encounters I can expect in the adventure.
Thanks! I'll do that.

Lucias

First Post
I got it, mainly to deduce how NPCs were handled in IH and I think it's pretty mediocre. This coming from a guy who loves most of Goodman's stuff.

The setting is bland as are most of the NPCs. The plot is okay.

It does do a really good job of giving you fun locales to fight in, though.

For some reason, none of the NPC warriors get DR with their armor...

Kaos

First Post
The Madhatter said:
I've been getting the blandness vibe from a lot of folks. It still might work out though.

I tend not to buy published modules in general (though I do appreciate 'freeby' introductory modules that come with other products.)

Just too used to groups that do their own adventure-hooks which wander straight out of the module's design.

MacMathan

Explorer
I just downloaded it. I agree with the blandness critique. It is an idea that has been done a number of times elsewhere.

I also have a couple of issues with some of the plots and how they relate to the NPC's. Nothing I can't change but as written there are a couple of logic holes.

On the upside the environments are detailed enough to show off some of the special fighting tactics that IH allows. Many of the areas are very interesting, however I wish more of them had detailed maps as they will be a challenge to draw in a way that makes since if you are using minis.

The stat blocks seem to be missing DR for most armor wearers also for some reason.

The module IMHO does not go very far in trying to keep with the admittedly vague flavor that IH presents as default. There are a few notes about making it fit into the swordlands IH default but other than that the flavor is very generic fantasy.

I think IH will challenge adventure designers as it requires some different qualities to maximize usability when compared to modules for other systems.

Remove ads