• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Sooo... 4e Video Games?

Ashrem Bayle said:
I've always fantasized about a game where you created a party and played the game in a 3rd person point of view in real time. But, when initiative is rolled, the camera pulled back to an isometric view (with a controllable camera) and a grid faded into view on the ground.

At that point, it becomes a turn based RPG until the encounter is over.

Once it's done, it snaps back to the real time 3rd person perspective.

Maybe killing attacks and critical hits zoom up to a ciniematic view complete with slow motion and a quality physics engine.
The switch between round-based and real-time has been done at least since Jagged Alliance, and it's the best way to go, in my opinion. I don't know if you need a specific isometric view, I think a specific 3D camera setting should be enough.
I don't need a grid, but if there is one, it should perhaps be possible to deactivate. (Maybe with variable fading?)

hong

WotC's bitch
Ashrem Bayle said:
I've always fantasized about a game where you created a party and played the game in a 3rd person point of view in real time. But, when initiative is rolled, the camera pulled back to an isometric view (with a controllable camera) and a grid faded into view on the ground.

At that point, it becomes a turn based RPG until the encounter is over.

Once it's done, it snaps back to the real time 3rd person perspective.

Fallout Tactics. That game was AWESOME.

hong

WotC's bitch
Vaeron said:
Here here! The gold box games were great. I don't understand the resistance to turn-based play, it's the only way to get the D&D experience in a computer game. Games like NWN where you're trying to get off spells and the monsters can just chase you around hitting you regardless are NOT D&D.

I don't think there needs to be a grid though... The God Box games (and ToEE and PoR2) got by doing turn-based without a grid.
? The Gold Box games, and TOEE, all had grids.

Vael

Legend
I'll have to try Fallout Tactics, sounds like something I'd like.

Ideally, I'd like a 4e D&D game in Eberron, but based in Khorvaire. I'd love to have fights on the Lightning Rail, some political intriguing and really playing in the world. Hopefully, given that 4e may have a more unified system, this would allow psionics and magic in the same computer game.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
ferratus said:
I don't want to see any more point and click RPG's in real time however. While I like playing D&D on the computer screen, clicking on sprites with the mouse as the core gameplay experience sucks.

True that. I think A system similar to zelda but with leveling and loot could be pretty cool

Snarls-at-Fleas

First Post
Yep a game in Eberron with open TES-like world, bloody dynamic and furious DMoMM-like combat and cooperative play opprtunities (like, say, for 4-6 playes). Ah
and some modern, physically correct engine is a must!
That'd be a real thing.
As for turn-based tactics - not my cup of tea. Though I'd like to see something like that for my PDA - kinda tactical exersize with sandbox mode. Useful for monster testing too.

am181d

Adventurer
I think I mentioned this on an earlier thread, but I'd love a game that used the D&D miniatures & battle grids like the Lego Star Wars games. Basically the game table on crack (but not too much crack).

mrtomsmith

First Post
am181d said:
I think I mentioned this on an earlier thread, but I'd love a game that used the D&D miniatures & battle grids like the Lego Star Wars games. Basically the game table on crack (but not too much crack).

Not only is that a good idea, but it also got me picturing... LEGO D&D. Not the cobbled together "LEGO as mini" that some people use, but literal licensed D&D minis. It makes so much sense. Please to make it, please?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads