• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Sooo... 4e Video Games?

cferejohn

First Post
Ashrem Bayle said:
I've always fantasized about a game where you created a party and played the game in a 3rd person point of view in real time. But, when initiative is rolled, the camera pulled back to an isometric view (with a controllable camera) and a grid faded into view on the ground.

At that point, it becomes a turn based RPG until the encounter is over.

Once it's done, it snaps back to the real time 3rd person perspective.

Maybe killing attacks and critical hits zoom up to a ciniematic view complete with slow motion and a quality physics engine.

Someone mentioned Fallout tactics, but actually all of the Fallout games worked like this. Some of my favorites. I loved Baldur's gate as well, but I felt like the "live" combat was a detriment. It pretty much made area of effect spells useless. By the time your fireball got where it was going either a) the bad guys weren't there any more or b) your front line guys had moved into the area.

In some sense, I suppose, this balanced big area of effect spells to some degree, but balancing via clunky interface seemed like a bad idea. The story and dialog were fantabulous of course.

Kishin

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
True that. I think A system similar to zelda but with leveling and loot could be pretty cool

Wouldn't be D&D though.

I vote for a turn based tactical game.

I love me some turn based tactical gameplay. Mmmm... Fire Emblem.

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
A few things I'd love to see in a 4e video game:

• Turn based for combat
  • characters able to climb, fly, jump etc
  • maps without edges - no more x sized squares. Dungeon Siege did this well
  • An end to railroading. It's become much more obvious in the D&D titles.
  • All locks able to be picked, doors able to be smashed etc. It's a real copout the amount of doors in NWN that simply cannot be opened because they don't lead to part of the story. If you end up somewhere you shouldn't be at the wrong time there should be consequences, but stop just saying 'Nope - you can't'.
  • Along that line - dimension door and spells like that at higher levels.

I'd love to see it as a first person shooter style as well, with a wee radar in the corner so you can see where your other party members are. It then zooms out to 3rd party when combat begins. This would also allow some nice options around sneaking and hiding for enemies.

I'm just a bit bored at the moment that the capabilities of RPG computer games hasn't progressed since the first NWN, other than the graphics improving (yawn). Give me something that makes me not notice that its 3am dammit.

baberg

First Post
The new gameplay of D&D combat lends itself quite well to video games. Specifically I'm thinking of the old-school C64 Pool of Radiance - turn based combat, grid-based movement, etc.

I think 4E will translate very well into a new genre of exploratory RPG with turn-based strategic combat.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Wow... I thought I was in the minority with favouring turn-based combat. Given that BG and NWN said they went with real-time 'cause it was more popular.

Maybe there should be a poll that we all send a link of to the game companies :D

Rabbitbait

Grog-nerd
Kzach said:
Wow... I thought I was in the minority with favouring turn-based combat. Given that BG and NWN said they went with real-time 'cause it was more popular.

Maybe there should be a poll that we all send a link of to the game companies :D

I'm not into on-line RPGs either. I prefer being able to start and finish when I have time and pick up where I left off. Also off-line RPGs tend to have more plot and thought put into them.

Oh, and I resent paying ongoing fees for games I have already paid for.

Mad Mac

First Post

It would be really hard to do a (good) NWN style game with the 4th edition rules, what with all the interrupt/immediate/minor actions, emphasis on movement, and encouraging characters to mix up their attacks every round.

Would lend itself great to a turn-based game though, or oddly enough, a pure action game. Having so many powers makes it easy to come up with a big list of special moves for each character, and most of them are cinematic enough to implement easily.

Oni

First Post
I've kind of had the notion in the back of my head, when I first read about how the rules were changing for 4e that they intended for it to be made into a MMO down the road.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads