• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerer Build Up

If you have access to the bloodline feats in Dragon (I think they were in 311 and 325), they provide a great way to bring flavour to your sorcerer by explaining where the magic comes from - for instance from an ancestor who was a chaotic outsider - and tailoring the spells known list slightly to reflcect this.

It looks to me that they also provide a "power-up" on a standard sorcerer, in that you get an extra specified spell known per spell level, at the cost of never being able to know certain spells (for example, the chaotic outsider bloodline gives you an extra "chaos friendly" spell known [e.g. protection from law] at each level but means you can never know spells with the lawful descriptor).

I've always wanted to give it a try because it looks like fun.

I'd also suggest maxing out your escape artist skill as much as possible - even to the extent of a one level dip into rogue (or taking human paragon from Unearthed Arcana, if available).

My NPC sorcerer just had a very, very bad experience with an Evard's Black Tentacles spell cast by the party and I've promised myself that if I ever get to play a PC sorcerer I'll try and minimise my vulnerability to that dratted spell.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
IMO, the most important thing for a sorceror is their spell selection... It really defines how they're going to be in play.

So, for a war sorceror, I'd first start by thinking about what you do. Are you a special forces comando, spy, tactician, blow up armies? From there, I find the spells pretty much pick themselves?

Blasting spells - no brainer here. Just wouldn't take too many.
Battlefield control - webs, black tentacles, solid fogs and walls. IME, often more effective than blowing stuff up?
Mind affecting - Confusion could be particularly devastating. Dominating a key enemy officer?
Illusions - definitely have their uses. Either to mislead or hide...
Defensive stuff - not dying is always a bonus. :D
Utility spells - teleports, polymorphs and the like?

Feats are a matter of taste. Personally, I like metamagic - Idealy with Arcane Preparation from the complete arcane - that way they don't take longer to cast. For battlefield use, anything that lets you hit more targets - Widen springs straight to mind.

Prestige classes might be worth looking at, but really depends what you're interested in and what books you have available.

Seph

First Post
thx for all the great suggestions.....yea i have played a lvl 12 sorcerer.....and also used the draconic feats.....I really liked them alot....just that......i was looking for more of a build up class of sorcerer....of which i can have opinions on by yall......like a outline for a sorcerer....if thats asking way too much.....but thanks for the help i really appreciated....i am new to this website.....and i really enjoyed this thx once again :cool:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Seph said:
thx for all the great suggestions.....yea i have played a lvl 12 sorcerer.....and also used the draconic feats.....I really liked them alot....just that......i was looking for more of a build up class of sorcerer....of which i can have opinions on by yall......like a outline for a sorcerer....if thats asking way too much.....but thanks for the help i really appreciated....i am new to this website.....and i really enjoyed this thx once again :cool:

How...... about.......... you,,,,,,, start and,.,.,.,.,.,.,. we ~~~~~~ can give __________ you some advice.

-- N

Seph

First Post
Thanks

sounds good......well i was thinking of going 6 lvl sorcerer......then getting that prestige class from the complete arcane....fiendish something i believe its call.......dont have the book with me atm.....but taking that 6 lvls.........so basically......6 lvl sorcerer/6 fiendish....any revising?

Corsair

First Post
Simple advice: Never lose caster levels.

Better advice: Try to remove your weaknesses. Classes which add spells known are good. Mage of the Arcane Order mayhaps.

Seph

First Post
.......hmm i cant really remember what that prestige class is called.....but in alternatively speaking i was thinking as well going 10th lvl sorcer/ 2 lvls of that fiendish class.....it would raise my ac.....and i think in that i case at 12 lvl i believe i can still cast 6 lvl spells..... :\

Jack Simth

First Post
Seph said:
Im starting a lvl 12 campaign........and need help to build up a sorcerer......the campaign is mostly war....i dont know how to build up a sorcerer just i only played one straight lvl 12 sorcerer......any suggestions?

thx for the help

Human Sor 5 / Mage of the Arcane Order 7 (if you have access, of course; I'm basing this post on the version in Tome & Blood).

Feats:
Char 1: Arcane Preparation
Human: Cooperative Spell
Char 3: Silent Spell
Char 6: Skill Focus (SpellCraft)
MoAO 2: Still Spell
Char 9: Spell Focus (Evocation)
Char 12: Spell Focus (Illusion)

Full caster progression, Spellpool III available (which means if you could have learned it by now, and it's a standard, you can Call it - although as you won't have 7th level spell slots until 14th, you can only make use of Spellpool II until you've gone up a few levels more).

Silent Spell server three purposes - the first is stealth, the second is negating most the effect a Silence has on your spellcasting (as a Sorceror, you can apply this spontaneously with no issues), and the third is getting out of being Pinned and prevented from speaking (prepare a Silent Dimension Door or two every day in one or more of your 5th level slots)

Eschew materials is for casting in grapples (you will be surprised occasionally), having an excuse as to why you didn't need to have your spell component pouch prepared for that called Fireball you just cast, and to be able to deal with your Spell Component Pouches getting stolen while you slept.

Invest heavily in rings of Spell Storing - for a Mage of the Arcane Order, they act as a very fast way to make a very limited number of scrolls of spells not on your known list.

Also, make sure to keep a Ring of Counterspells filled with a Dispel Magic or Greater Dispel Magic on at all times.

Stay away from spells you will only need occasionally (such as Teleport or Planar Binding), as you can just Call one on the rare occasion that you do need it.

Also - plan for your next prestige class, Archmage - with some careful selection of your spells, you will qualify for it after 15th level, when you finish up Mage of the Arcane Order. (this is the reason for the two Spell Focus feats and the Skill Focus feat - Evocation for the damage dealing goodness, and Illusion for when you pick up spells from the Shadow Evocation and Shadow Conjouration lines - they only add to your flexibility, which, as a Sorceror base, is needful)

Jack Simth

First Post
Seph said:
.......hmm i cant really remember what that prestige class is called.....but in alternatively speaking i was thinking as well going 10th lvl sorcer/ 2 lvls of that fiendish class.....it would raise my ac.....and i think in that i case at 12 lvl i believe i can still cast 6 lvl spells..... :\
Acrolite of the Skin, from Tome & Blood? (I don't have access to Complete Arecane.) Well, if you don't mind the nongood requirement, and the half spell progression (2nd, 4th, 6th, et cetera) so a Sor 10 / Acrolite of the Skin 2 would cast as a Sor 11, and thus would lack a 6th level spell.

Remove ads