Sorcerer "Swiss Army Knife" Spell selection

Ungruush

First Post
I'm beginning a new campaign, and I've decided to try an arcane caster (my first one). Having never played an any arcane caster, I chose to run with a sorcerer for the ability to sling a ton of spells around at lower levels, but now I am at a dilemma...

...what spells do i choose?...

i am the only arcane caster in the group (myself, a druid, a cleric, a fighter, a ranger, and a rogue..and i will be doubling as an archer role, but I'm an elf with an 18 dex, so not a huge deal...)and I am trying to find the most versatile spell selection up to about 10th level. I have decided on going into the Mage of the Arcane Order to further increase my flexibility, but the trouble is not only what to do until i reach 6th level (when i plan on accessing the PrC), but what i should choose further on.

so, i have decided to access the greatest assembly of D&D minds on the planet (or anywhere else) and ask for some assistance.

many thanks in advance

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Spells that have "normal" and "greater" versions, wait the couple levels to pick the greater. Don't bother with the normal because you really waste a known spell. Example, wait for greater teleport instead of getting teleport when you could.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Before you continue, you need to ask yourself some questions:

1) Do you want a list of the most "powerful"/"popular" spells in that range? If so, Thanee has an excellent list floating around somewhere. As I recall, Sleep, Magic Missile, Grease and the like are prominently featured.

2) Do you have a strong character concept/heavy RP considerations that might shape spell selection? If so, please let us in on that info.

3) How much do you plan to play up the archer aspect? If you're serious, you might want to consider a few Ftr or Rgr levels to boost your number of relevant "archery" feats like Point Blank Shot, etc. You might even want to use the Unearthed Arcana variant Battle Sorcerer or the Warmage instead of the PHB Sorcerer if you're serious about archery but don't want to multiclass.

Given all of that, you probably also want to emphasize Orb/Ray type spells that get a benefit from those archery feats.

4) What books do you have access to? DCv1, for instance, has "Bloodline" feats that are similar to Cleric Domains, adding to your spell list of spontaneous arcane casters of all kinds, among other things. In addition, there are all kinds of feats spread out over all kinds of books (both WotC & 3rd party publishers) that do things like add DCs to certain spells, give alternative class features, etc.

Ungruush

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
1) Do you want a list of the most "powerful"/"popular" spells in that range? If so, Thanee has an excellent list floating around somewhere. As I recall, Sleep, Magic Missile, Grease and the like are prominently featured.

I guess i should have emphasized that along with versatility, i am looking for pure firepower as an artillery role.

Dannyalcatraz said:
2) Do you have a strong character concept/heavy RP considerations that might shape spell selection? If so, please let us in on that info.

Yes, i do have a strong character concept, but the only spells it should affect will be low level spells (has a gambling problem, and can't help himself but to give use an "advantage" through a bit of magic)

Dannyalcatraz said:
3) How much do you plan to play up the archer aspect? If you're serious, you might want to consider a few Ftr or Rgr levels to boost your number of relevant "archery" feats like Point Blank Shot, etc. You might even want to use the Unearthed Arcana variant Battle Sorcerer or the Warmage instead of the PHB Sorcerer if you're serious about archery but don't want to multiclass.

The archer aspect is just for backup...not really planning on putting many feats/character levels into it.

Dannyalcatraz said:
4) What books do you have access to? DCv1, for instance, has "Bloodline" feats that are similar to Cleric Domains, adding to your spell list of spontaneous arcane casters of all kinds, among other things. In addition, there are all kinds of feats spread out over all kinds of books (both WotC & 3rd party publishers) that do things like add DCs to certain spells, give alternative class features, etc.

as far as books go, i only have access to WotC 3.5 books...but anything outside of that realm can be up for consideration..but seeing as how i have none of those books in my possession, i'll have to rely on any person posting said info to give me details about any ability/feat to run by my DM

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
The following spells are suggested from Complete Mage for Blaster Archetypes:

1st Lvl: Hail of Stone (from Spell Compendium)
2nd Lvl: Snowball Storm (from Spell Compendium)
3rd Lvl: Fireball
4th Lvl: Greater Invisibility
5th Lvl: Firebrand (from Spell Compendium)
6th Lvl: Chain Lightning
7th Lvl: Radiant Assault (from Spell Compendium)
8th Lvl: Horrid Wilting (from Spell Compendium)
9th Lvl: Meteor Swarm

The three spells to avoid for this archetype:
Acid Fog, Mass Suggestion, Stinking Cloud.

Victim

First Post
Abilities that work for archery at low levels can often convert into abilities that work for ranged touch attack spells at mid-high levels. Throwing Orbs or Enervations can be much easier with Precise Shot.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For firepower, you're going to want to stick close to Evocation, Conjuration, and Transmutation spells.

For a spellcaster PC with a gambling habit- especially one who cheats- Still Spell & Silent Spell seem to be obvious choices. You don't want to get caught after all.

Besides the possibility of using the DCv1, your most likely main supplementary resources would be CompArcane, CompMage, Unearthed Arcana, PHB2 and the Spell Compendium of course. Paizo's DCv1 is one of those 3rd party books that seems to be popular with a lot of people since it & WotC were so closely linked- Dragon was "100% Official" after all. A lot of people use it, a lot don't- ask your DM. Most relevant for your PC would be something like "Anarchic Bloodline"- meaning your PC decended from some chaotic aligned Outsider, and would add 9 spells to your spells known list (1 each per level 1-9, like a Domain), and qualify you for a few other DCv1 Bloodline feats like "Kin Mastery" (turn creatures with similar "bloodlines") or "Power in the Blood" (cast an additional Bloodline spell).

Victim

First Post
Reveille said:
The three spells to avoid for this archetype:
Acid Fog, Mass Suggestion, Stinking Cloud.

Yeah, there's no real reason to avoid those spells. First of all, Acid Fog can be used to pin enemies in place so they can't escape area spells. And having non damaging spells is good for many fights. While they're not especially in theme, they are really useful. Well, Confusion is often going to be more economical than Mass Suggestion.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you go for energy themed spells for your main damage dealing, take Energy Substitution at least once- it will improve your flexibility- crucial if you wind up facing a foe who shrugs off your fire spells or whatever.

Zelc

First Post
For Sorcerers, you probably don't want more than a few damage-dealing spells over the entire lifetime. Direct Damage is usually a suboptimal strategy in the first place (battlefield control effects like Black Tentacles and Solid Fog and save-or-suck/die effects like Glitterdust usually trump direct damage effects), and you don't want to waste multiple spells known for different ways of getting the same effect: dealing level/d6 damage.

Threads on the CharOp forums for Sorcerer Spell Selection:
General Guidelines for Sorcerer Spell Selection
Sorcerer vs. Warmage (Warning: Thread title contains offensive language! Thread is flamey-ish in general)

Here's a spell list from the last thread:

Spell Level: spells
1: Mage Armor, Ray of Enfeeblement, Grease, Familiar Pocket, Enlarge Person (or something)
2: Glitterdust, Scorching Ray, Wings of Cover, Heroics, Alter Self
3: Stinking Cloud, Fly, Ray of Dizziness, Haste
4: Wings of Flurry, Solid Fog, Orb of Cold, Greater Mirror Image
5: Greater Blink, Moonbow, Feeblemind or Baleful Polymorph (or Overland Flight, replace Fly with Phantasmal Steed, if you'll be getting a Runestaff at some point)
6: Greater Dispel Magic, Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability
Next level you snag Arcane Spellsurge and the fun really starts.

Also, you probably want a high Cha more than a high Dex, but the higher Dex could help you hit with touch spells which is always nice.

Remove ads