Sorcerer "Swiss Army Knife" Spell selection

Jhaelen

First Post
If you have access to a copy of PHB2, it has an appendix meant to quickly create npcs. It contains lists of recommended spells, kin dof the all-time favorites, i.e. spells that have proven to be useful in a majority of situations.

MrWildman

Explorer
Random thoughts:

Sorcerers really stand or fall based on their theme, their schtick, that thing they do (or at least how they do it). I try to find a simple phrase, two or three words, to describe their personality. That helps in the choosing of spells. The guy who's into "kinetic property damage" will obviously differ from "sneaky acid charmer", certainly. But knowing who your sorc is points to what he does, or does best.

As a gambler (who cheats) it seems likely he would know one utterly surprising, out-of-the-blue spell. Something totally out of character, kept as an Ace in the Hole.

End random thoughts. Peace.

DarkJester

First Post
If you want a bit of reading material as to good spells in general take a look at this:Clicky Clicky

It's meant for wizards, but some of the stuff can be applied more generally to arcane casters as a whole. You just have to be more choosey about what you get.

The "artillery" role for the party isn't really to hard to fill. At low level you'll be just as effective, or more effective (with an 18 dex), using your bow than with your spells. A 1d4+1 magic missile just doesn't do much at level 1. You'll have to find a balance between getting the newest shiniest attack spells are getting spells that are otherwise effective.

I find that damaging spells are not really where it is at. Battlefield control and strong buffing spells are a whole lot more helpful in my experience. In that line, Grease, glitterdust, haste, mass fly, wall of stone/force, solid fog/freezing fog, Evard's Black Tentacles, Howling Chain, and others. A main prospect when choosing spells for a sorcerer is how much you can get out of them. It's nice to have spells that can serve multiple roles.

When I do go for damaging spells, I try to avoid those that require a save if at all possible. Yes, you will need something like fireball for area of effect reflex save damage, but in general I find it much easier to use something like scorching ray or orb of cold than to have an opponent fail a reflex save. Saves start to outpace even the most devoted evoker's saving throw DC after a while. I'd be loathe to toss a fireball if my group had as many melee guy's as yours will. Haste's average damage output would far exceed the puny 6d6 you'd get out of a fireball.

My favorite damaging spell are:
Scorching Ray
Defenstrating Sphere (Complete Arcane)
Fireball / Scintillating Sphere
Firebrand (SC)
Ball Lightning (SC)
Orb of ____ (SC)
Many Jaws (SC)

There is a fun spell called "Unluck" that might suite your concept of a gambler; you might want to check it out (Spell Compendium).

As a sorcerer you are feat starved, especially going into a prestige class that requires 3 feats for a sorcerer. You'll need to pick a metamagic feat as a part of that requirement, I'd recommend sculpt spell, and then pick up empower spell later when you have more feat slots to use it.

Last edited:

Folly

First Post
A few things that haven't been mentioned. Dimension Door is a must have in my opinion. Simply because it increases your survivability and utility of your spell list more than any one other spell.

For Mage of the Arcane Order, remember that due to the requirement of preparing spells that you have to burn an additional feat to qualify for the class. Further this makes for need to carefully read how the interaction of a spontaneous caster with the PrC work. You will probably want to discuss it with your DM and come to an understanding before you go down that road since there is some contention in the implementation of that build.

Nail

First Post
Really: Avoid the "blaster" role. It doesn't do nearly as well as you think.

Instead, try for "battlefield control" (or the new 4e phrase "controller"). Spells that limit enemy options are excellent...and often don't require a save. (In fact, spells that require a save are usually pathetic, as most enemies will have high saves.)

At 1st level, try Grease, Mage Armor, and Ray of Enfeeblement. Enlarge Person for the party Ftr, if you have room.

Zelc

First Post
If you want true versatility as a Sorcerer, you could go with the Shadowcraft Gnome build (I'm not a huge fan of the Mage of the Arcane Order, as it is feat intensive and you don't get access to high level spells through the Spellpool; something like Incantrix is far better :) ). But this probably isn't well-suited for someone without a good knowledge of arcane casting, and is on the overpowered side ;).

roguerouge

First Post
A gambler/blaster theme, eh? Well, let's see what I can recommend from the srd:

0:
Ghost Sound: For the distractions necessary to cheat at cards and dice
Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis for when you want to see the other guy's hole card.
Prestidigitation: 'Cause you gots to have your drinks chilled.
Acid Splash: Your "out of blaster spells" blaster spell.
Detect Magic: Detects extremely valuable treasure.

1:
Charm Person: The charmer's fireball spell.
Magic Missile: It's too good not to take.
Grease: Battlefield control, but maybe you drop it later.

Options:
Ray of Enfeeblement: No save and you'll be good at it with your Dex
Obscuring Mist: The escape spell.
Minor Image: change the suit of your cards, but drop it once you get major image.

2:
Web: best battlefield control spell of this level
Scorching Ray: best blaster spell of this level, especially with your dex. (You've now got fire, acid, and force damage at your disposal.)
Alter Self: You get: Disguise +10, natural size, mundane movement capabilities, natural armor bonus, natural weapons, racial skill bonuses, and racial bonus feats.

Options:
Invisibility: maybe get it now and drop it once you get the greater version.
Eagle's Splendor: Aside from the ego boost, it's a +2 to your save DCs
Touch of Idiocy: whoo-ee! lotsa ability damage; downside is that pesky touching thing.
Glitterdust: save or stink, plus defends against invisible creatures.
Acid arrow: if acid splash just isn't good enough.

3:
Lightning Bolt: Scorching Ray's your fire spell. Now you're only missing cold damage.
Major Image: Now, your illusionary cards still have the lingering heat of your hands for extra realism. Plus, it's the one illusion spell this character concept will ever need.
Fly: For when you would rather not be in melee
Summon Monster III: it's three spells for the price of one!

Options:
Dispel Magic: great, but probably worth letting the cleric deal with those issues.
Protection from Energy: see above
Slow: an under-rated save or stink spell.

4:
Ice Storm: now you just need sonic
Black Tentacles: Oh, sweet jeebus!
Invisibility, Greater: Combine with silent spell and fly for the ultimate in safety.
Polymorph: Get this, drop Alter Self and replace it with Acid Arrow.

Options:
Solid Fog: A valid choice if you don't want Black Tentacles to earn you your DM's wrath.
Shout: Probably best to just buy a wand or some scrolls of something that deals sonic damage.

MithrasRahl

First Post
It's sorta already been touched on, but if you're going to be moonlighting as an archer, a lot of the stuff (Dex items, Point Blank Shot, etc) will also help your Ray spells, or anything with a ranged touch attack.

Pyrex

First Post
I got a lot of mileage out of Telekinesis with my Sorcerer.

You can grapple an opponent to set them up for Sneak Attacks (or subsequently Pin them to keep them from casting), disarm them, Bull Rush them off a cliff, or the ever-popular throw a cartload of javelins at them.

Remove ads