Sorcerer "Swiss Army Knife" Spell selection

Jack Simth

First Post
Don't forget to check with the party Cleric and Druid, and find out what spells they usually prepare. You don't want redundancy, so don't pick a spell known that they usually prepare.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
High dex will also help you stay alive!

BTW Nail- thanks for posting that link to Thanee's stuff- I know I have one listed/bookmarked somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Zelc

First Post
Pyrex said:
or the ever-popular throw a cartload of javelins at them.
Telekinesis on Colossal Siangham (assuming you can carry them) or Gargantuan Nunchaku (can definitely be safely carried in a Bag of Holding) or Colossal Crossbow Bolts (cheaper, but they break) is the best direct damage spell in the game, dealing 30d6 (Colossal Siangham) or 20d6 (Gargantuan Nunchaku or Colossal Crossbow Bolts) damage at level 15 if you miss with half the weapons (no save, no SR, goes through AMFs, but DR really hurts). Unfortunately, it probably won't be too long before your DM gets annoyed and you find yourself on the receiving end of one of these salvoes, so I wouldn't use it :).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Don't forget that with a high dex (and possibly "archery" feats), you'll have more fun using such mundane and alchemical goodies as caltrops, tanglefoot bags, alchemical fire, etc.

And FWIW, Quiver of Ehlonna is one of the best low-cost magic items out there. You'll be able to carry your quarterstaff, your spear, your javelins, your...well, you get the point.

BTW- don't forget that the Spear is a reach weapon. There is something to be said for keeping foes at greater than arm's length.

Ungruush

First Post
basically, using anything in melee is going to be considered a huge mistake on my part...

i have a 7 str, so if i have to fight close, im screwed...and i cant even carry half of the things a 12 year old child would be able to...

i have to stay a ways back to avoid...oh, what the word im looking for....

..oh yeah...

death

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ah...another potential option to consider. Do you have access to Dragon Magazine? I don't mean to use various options in its pages, but for purely referencial purposes.

If you do, check out Dragon#354. In the Class Acts: Arcane (p88-89), there is a list of spells from the PHB and Spell Compendium that have no Somatic components.

There is also this thread that discusses other WotC sourcebooks containing spells without Somatic components:

http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-472555.html

I mention this because it might be kind of cool to play an arcane caster who wears armor without burning a precious feat and boosting spell levels. After all, a high dex is nice, but armor really does help you stay alive.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Str 7? You're going to have problems with any kind of combat, melee or ranged. All you could really use for ranged combat without getting a penalty to damage is the crossbow .

Given that, are you sure you want to play an Elf? (Don't get me wrong, I'm all about RP, but you still have to consider your mechanics when designing a PC.) Those WPs they get will be virtually useless to you.

A small-sized race would get you a +1 size bonus to your AC, won't affect your damage output from spells, and only marginally affects your damage from a crossbow. In the PHB, the Gnome gets you a +2Con bonus, etc., and the Halfling gets you a +2Dex bonus...but both, unfortunately, also give you a -2Str penalty.

Human would get you a bonus feat. Half-Elf gets you some of the bennies of being an Elf without the WPs that you really can't use. Both would effectively let you retain Wizard as your favored class.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
One of the best long-term blaster spells is scorching ray.

As for utility spells, I suggest:

Grease
Glitterdust
Alter Self
Haste
Dispel Magic

Ungruush

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Str 7? You're going to have problems with any kind of combat, melee or ranged. All you could really use for ranged combat without getting a penalty to damage is the crossbow .

so, what you are telling me is if i use a longbow, ill be doing d8-2 damage? where is that stated?

i have just never read anything like that...and that would seriously suck

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases