Space Adventure RPGs

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
One I bought for the setting (not mechanics) was Space:1889. Really fun setting to play around with.
While I never played that (I know of it), I created this map of a multi-deck "starship" using hydrogen driven "steampunk" engine fitting 1889, if you ask me... this is the top deck of an 1889 Star Trek type ship (3 decks total) notably the "ship's computer" is a library of books...
steam-punk-star-trek.jpg

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
With so many highly regarded games out there, how much space campaigns are actually being played? Is it really a lot less than fantasy games in general, or just a case of none of them being D&D? When it comes to running adventures, I don't see either as any better or worse suited to ease of play and creating stories than the other.
Dunno about being played (though I see plenty of Twitch and YouTube APs for the game) but I've noted a lot of people are buying Star Trek Adventures but not necessarily talking about it on Enworld or other forums as much compared to the big WOTC and Paizon games.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Dunno about being played (though I see plenty of Twitch and YouTube APs for the game) but I've noted a lot of people are buying Star Trek Adventures but not necessarily talking about it on Enworld or other forums as much compared to the big WOTC and Paizon games.
the sopranos television GIF

Ixal

Hero
As I posted in other threads I think fantasy is so much more common than sci-fi RPGs because it lends itself much better to power fantasies.

Nearly no one has any experience with medieval times, going so far as most people not even recognizing what is medieval and what is not. You have a guys with swords and there were kings is the extend of peoples knowledge, and because combat with swords take skill its completely believable you have high level characters who mows through enemies while being able to do anything he wants as medieval times were lawless (and there is truth to that).

SciFi on the other hand often build up on the modern world which everyone knows how works and its harder to pretend that the future works differently. When people shoot other people with guns or, even worse, long range artillery you need a lot more suspension of disbelieve that this high level person shrugs off everything.
And you all have those pesky modern institutions which would interfere with your power fantasy. Why wouldn't in the future there be a effective police force like we have now which takes care of things? Or armies which can oppose the BBEG with his planet destroying plot.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As I posted in other threads I think fantasy is so much more common than sci-fi RPGs because it lends itself much better to power fantasies.

Nearly no one has any experience with medieval times, going so far as most people not even recognizing what is medieval and what is not. You have a guys with swords and there were kings is the extend of peoples knowledge, and because combat with swords take skill its completely believable you have high level characters who mows through enemies while being able to do anything he wants as medieval times were lawless (and there is truth to that).

SciFi on the other hand often build up on the modern world which everyone knows how works and its harder to pretend that the future works differently. When people shoot other people with guns or, even worse, long range artillery you need a lot more suspension of disbelieve that this high level person shrugs off everything.
And you all have those pesky modern institutions which would interfere with your power fantasy. Why wouldn't in the future there be a effective police force like we have now which takes care of things? Or armies which can oppose the BBEG with his planet destroying plot.
Space is huge, dark, and largely empty. Who knows what goes on out there and will anyone hear you scream? Though, Traveller specifically has no levels, so you are correct the power fantasy isnt where the game lives. It lives in the adventure instead.

Remove ads